Newbie questions for building a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to try and build my first computer and I have a couple questions.
When looking at mobo's I've noticed that their are express ATX, micro ATX ,and just ATX. Whats the difference? I plan on installing it in a case that's approx. 4-5 years old. I cant find any manufactor label on it, it currently has a ABIT NF7 mobo if that helps. I would also appreciate if I can get some feed back on my build.

Intel Core 2 E6400

Gigabyte 96P-DS3 Intel P965 Express ATX mobo

Corsair XMS2 1 Gb DDR2800 memory

ASUS Radeon X1950 Pro (256mb) video card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320gb hard drive

Lite-on 18x DVD burner

The case currently has a Powerpup 350w power supply is that enough or should I upgrade? And if I need to what size?

Thnks for any help

Welcome to TechSpot!

I'd upgrade the power supply to this: OCZ GameXStream 600W
It may be a bit expensive, but the 600 watts will hold up to anything you can throw at it with your current setup. It also is a high quality unit. I can give some suggestions for a motherboard when I have some time, but right now, g2g.

Cheers :)

When looking at mobo's I've noticed that their are express ATX, micro ATX ,and just ATX. Whats the difference?
The difference between them is their sizes, EATX (Extended ATX) boards are bigger than normal ATX boards, MicroATX boards are smaller than normal ATX boards. The board you have in it (NF7) is AFAIK an ordinary ATX board as well as the one you want to get (GA-965P-DS3), so you should have no problems fitting it in.
Gigabyte 96P-DS3 Intel P965 Express ATX mobo
The "Express" applies to the chipset as in "Intel P965 Express". "Express" has nothing to do with the shape of the motherboard in this case.

Other than that the GA-965P-DS3 is a good overclocker from what I've read on the 'net.

just ensure the case size fits your board and the board/ case contains ample room and slots for all the cards you want to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back