TechSpot

Newbie to custom PC's needs help

By TwinkyIsWatchin
Dec 26, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, so for christmas, I got a Smilidon Raidmax case, a geforce 8800, an S-series motherboard and a sound card, a 640gb harddrive and I had to take an old dvd drive from another computer and put it into this one. Now, everything is hooked up just as it told me to in the Mother boards manual.

But when I plug in the power supply to the wall, turn on the switch in the back of the tower, and press the power button, it doesn't start. Fans don't turn on, lights don't turn on, nothing is getting power.

Now, I know its not because of my power supply, its 500watts and my friend had the same exact mother board and case and it worked for him. I'm really just frustrated and ready to throw the damn thing on the ground and smash it with a hammer. But before that, can anyone give me some ideas of what to do?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

Just because that power supply should work doesn't mean it is. I've had them be dead out of the box before.

Do you even get a light on your motherboard (if there is one)? If you get a light there the board is getting some power, but that still isn't an indication the power supply is fine.

Are you sure your power switch is on the right pins? Take it off the pins anyway and then touch a screwdriver to both of those pins and see if the computer will boot up.
  3. TwinkyIsWatchin

TwinkyIsWatchin TS Rookie Topic Starter

TwinkyIsWatchin

Yeah, I've checked and rechecked to make sure that the power switch and reset switch are all on the right pins. Maybe I should go and check again, just to make sure..

Theres no light or anything on my mother board :/

God I really hope the friggin' power supply isn't broken..
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

It is rare that they are broke from the start, but it isn't unheard of.

Any chance you could borrow one from someone? If not I would buy a new one, a good one, like an Antec Earthwatts, or pretty much any Enermax (there are lots of others that are good too, but those are my 2 recommendations). Then take yours back. If the new one doesn't work then something else is wrong since the chances of 2 dead are very slim.

But right now, if you don't even get a light on your motherboard it points to PSU or motherboard, and I would guess PSU is bad over a bad motherboard, but its really hard to say at this point.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.