Newcomer GPU Maker - Aims to be GPU leader by 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

For a long time now, the graphics card market has been a two-horse race between ATi and NVIDIA. Now, new competitor XGI makes its entry onto the stage.

However, despite the new name, several old names in the graphics sector, have lent their secret sauces to the new company. XGI, in fact, was formed when SIS spun off its graphics division Xabre, which was then renamed XGI. Only a few months later, XGI acquired Trident's graphics subsidiary, thus adding Trident graphics technology to its portfolio. Rumor has it that several big investors also back the new name. One such candidate could possibly be UMC, the Taiwanese foundry giant that entered into a strategic alliance with SIS at the end of last year.

Of course, there are no official comments on who is pulling the strings, but it seems clear that XGI is on solid financial ground. This also explains the company's confidence in its plans. After all, XGI wants to begin turning a profit by 2005 and aims to be the worldwide market leader among the GPU makers by 2007. Whether or not XGI will actually be able to meet these goals remains to be seen. After all, this start-up is planning to compete with the two technology leaders ATi and NVIDIA on their home turf.

XGI has named its product line "Volari", which stems from the Latin word Volatus. If that word looks familiar, that's because the English word velocity finds its roots there as well. XGI divides its product line into three categories. First, there are the enthusiast and mainstream segments, each of which will feature three cards featuring DirectX 9 chips. Additionally, there is the low-cost segment with one DirectX 8.1 chip.

Full Article @ Toms Hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031107/xgi-volari-01.html

I'm sure that's how all the new graphics card companies feel. How many of them have made it to the top? Well we all know ATi and nVidia...................................

They still have work to do, but again, I'm very sure that other companies have been in this position before, and havn't made it to the top. Just because they don't have an article about it, doesn't mean that they once thought like XGI before.

Plus, them giving their "PA" of how they are gonna "own" nvidia and ati isn't gonna make them happy, you think those two are gonna start slacking off or something?

I looked at the benchmarks, they have definate work to do, in most of the benchmarks, they were at the bottom. Plus, who relys on benchmarks anyways, acid? *cough* :)

Hmmm...
I don't like their software config for the card...
And i think they have a few big problems with the dual processor idea...
I dunno...

I just don't know

Don't be too sure...

There's been a lot of talk about XGI's DeltaChrome over at Beyond3d, and the potential in the chip...
Let it & the drivers mature a bit, and it might be a contender...

Especially if they manage to keep the price down...
Imagine buying a top-end card for just a bit more than mainstream prices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back