Newegg unveils Windows 7 OEM prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Online retailer Newegg.com today unveiled prices for OEM editions of Windows 7, and as usual, they're significantly lower than the full and even upgrade retail versions. As you are probably aware, these licenses are intended for small-scale system builders, ban users from transferring the operating system from one PC to another, come with no support whatsoever, and only allows performing a clean installation.

If you don't mind those restrictions, however, there's nothing to prevent individual users from buying and installing an OEM version of Windows on their machines. So, if you missed the initial pre-order discount or don't qualify for the current student offer, going for an OEM copy of Microsoft's upcoming operating system may be the next best thing in terms of savings.

Specifically, Newegg priced the OEM edition of Windows 7 Home Premium at $110, nearly 50% off Microsoft's suggested list price of $200 for the full version and about 10% less than the $120 price of the same edition's upgrade. Other savings are available for Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate at $140 and $190, respectively, versus $300 and $320 for the full retail versions.

The online retailer is also offering pre-order prices that are $5 to $15 cheaper until October 20, which means a full copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM can be purchased for as little as $100.

Permalink to story.

Why buy Windows when you can install Ubuntu OS for free from www(dot)ubuntu(dot)com? You just have to download the Iso file and burn a disc and presto, a free and open source operating system on your PC. No need to buy licenses and it's not shareware. That's the beauty of open source.

Right, I'm sure that makes perfect sense to all the Windows users reading. Instead of plunking down a small chunk of change for a quite nice operating system that works with the largest number of programs out there, go get one for free that works with nowhere near as many programs and chucks familiarity out the window (pun intended). And then they can go ask their friends for help and watch as all of them stare blankly back at them.

OEM prices look good, but nothing like the upgrade discounts Microsoft offered earlier on. The Home Premium upgrade went for $50, hopefully they will offer something similar closer to launch next month.

Looking at a chart of features, to even get Windows XP mode, requires Pro or Ultimate version.
I'm assuming that if I went for the 64 bit version, pretty much all my old 32-bit games/apps are useless on it?

" Comes with no support whatsoever" ..what the hell does this mean? It doesn't update itself?
Who the hell wants that?

Guest said:
" Comes with no support whatsoever" ..what the hell does this mean? It doesn't update itself?
Who the hell wants that?

No support means you will not get to call Microsoft and get an answer if something is wrong with Windows. You still get all patches, just do not get the service piece that comes with the software. OEM's get the discounts because they have their own support personnel to answer questions when your machine is malfunctioning. Microsoft will step in only when it is determined that the support request is escalated to Level III - means a piece of a code needs to be rewritten.

The best deal is the student discount which I qualify for. Nothing can beat the student discount of $30 for the Windows 7 Premium upgrade of either the 32bit or 64bit version.

Windows 7, 64 bit edition fully supports 32bit apps. I have been running it (RC 7100) since early May.
All 64 bit apps are installed under the default C:\Program Files folder.
All 32 bit apps are installed under: C:\Program Files (x86)

Of note: Windows 7 is by far the most stable and fastest Windows OS ever.
I used to have to reinstall Windows XP every 3 to 6 months as it bogged down over time.
Windows 7 doesn't seem to suffer this problem, Windows Updates detects all my driver updates. including the ATI full Catalyst suite, onboard Realtek sound drivers and so on. When I update my video drivers I am no longer required to reboot!

Although I never owned VISTA, I feel that anyone who did should get Windows 7 at a DEEP DISCOUNT due to the flawed product that VISTA was / is. I find it incredible that MS was able to come out with such a radically better OS so quickly after VISTA was released. They admit that VISTA sucked yet want people to pay corporate prices for this VISTA release update. The interface is identical to VISTA's, it's what's under the hood that has radically improved. Major stability, performance boost and lessened hardware requirements (less RAM anyways) :)

@Badfinger. That is simply not true, 64-bit Windows is perfectly capable of running 32-bit apps and games. The only thing that I can think of that is required to be 64-bit, is the drivers. I've been using 64-bit for a while now and the vast majority of code that I'm running is definitely 32-bit code.

The only thing you need to worry about are any 16 bit apps that you may still be running although XP mode solves almost all problems if you can't find any other workaround.

The difference is of course the $50 upgrade is just that...an upgrade, but the $100 OEM is the OS itself basically complete. The upgrade requires an OS to upgrade from.

Microsoft is either scraping the bottom of the barrel here, or W7 is hitting the shelves as buggy as every other OS they have produced. Jokes aside, the beta was very good and I am looking forward to the released OS. I hope the "buy 1 get 2 free" license offer still exists. Just hope they have straightened out the ultra-complex security from Vista and made it as easy as Windows 2000 was, otherwise there is going to be major hassles getting W7 machines talking to other OSes.

Badfinger said:
Looking at a chart of features, to even get Windows XP mode, requires Pro or Ultimate version.
Keep in mind Windows 7 still has the compatibilty mode feature that XP and Vista had which isn't the same as this Windows XP mode feature.

Win7's been getting a great deal of promotion, it would be unfortunate to see it not live up to its promise. Price is one thing - performance is another. Windows hasn't been up-to-par, and I think that' pretty evident to every OS X and Linux user.

Back when I was using Debain and Windows, 6-7 years ago, I could see the anti-linux argument. Linux lacks compatibility & user-friendliness they said, and it did. But download yourself a copy of the new Ubuntu (Karmic Koala) and you'll see just how exponentially linux has progressed in the past five years or so.

What really caught me off-guard was having only a mac for a weekend (my XP laptop had an hdd issue). It was astonishing. I soon found myself buying a Macbook and learning all about it.

The stability and power of a unix based operating system with compatibility, design and stealth all-in-one? Damn. And I used to be a Windows guy.

This is why I conclude that those who are Windows fanatics likely haven't experimented much, and often don't really know all that much about operating systems, their history and architecture.

Ubuntu is great for a home user emailing, surfing etc, as long as you are not a gamer, or want to transfer work to and from your workplace. Sure, Open Office can save in Microsucks format, but you lose some formatting and fonts if you are going back and forth to work with things. So, realistically, Ubuntu is only a solution for a few people. I have it installed on all my computers, but need Windows for games. Linux fanboys need to realize that Linux does not cover every circumstance. I wish it did, but it doesn't. Reality sucks.

Sure, Macs can do all the workplace things Windows does, but mainly because they can run Windows. So why pay way more for a computer with OSX, and then install Windows anyway? Why not just use a Windows machine for a lot less money, and you can game too. Oh, right, Mac can play 3 or 4 games, I forgot, Myst, WOW, uhm....tetris... uhhh Myst.....

Quote:

on October 1, 2009
9:42 PM

Of note: Windows 7 is by far the most stable and fastest Windows OS ever.
I used to have to reinstall Windows XP every 3 to 6 months as it bogged down over time.

Unquote.

What the F are you doing to get XP not working properly every 3-6 months? I work in IT for a living and am probably old enough to be your father. However even to be blunt even the DUMBEST uneducated consumer out there would have a very hard time doing what you claim. What you say you are doing is lazy and pathetic showing you are very stupid if you can screw things up that badly that fast.

Vista = steaming pile of crap.
W7 = same steaming pile with some added polish. It's MUCH better don't get me wrong but it's still kissing Hollywood's *** etc etc. Pathetic that M$ went that way.

As for Ubuntu etc.. it's excellent overall and improving for games. And it's easily good enough for the majority of ppl with at least some common sense. However it is not quite ready to replace winbloze for everyone. Ultimately for it to go further it needs more Game support from companies such as iD.

Because linux isn't user friendly and cannot run most popular software designed for windows.

The switch over to Linux or Debian or any other platform is just as troublesome as it sounds.
Nobody has the time it takes to install and learn a new system... and troubleshoot the inevitable problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back