Newest malware: Antivirus XP 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
My desktop has acquired this nasty malware, it is well descibed as maraudng as official Microsoft Security; but I had seen similar a couple of years ago and was immediately suspicious. The desktop is infected enough that I cannot visit the sites needed to download the cleanups. I do also have laptop that seems more current in its protection. I assume I could download these programs to the laptop and than burn to a cd/dvd? However I am not the most computer capable--should I just call the geek squad or do you think this is something that can be walked thru?
most sincerely shelly0312

Geek Squad is the very last place, you want to contact unless you're very well off :)

I could download these programs to the laptop and than burn to a cd/dvd?
This is exactly, what you want to do. Eventually, you can use USB flash drive.

malware: Antivirus XP 2010

So I was able to follow your 8-step program for virus free living. I ran all the virus scans on my laptop and than loaded them on a DVD to transport to desktop--(the desktop cannot even open GOOGLE --just get dire warnings about it being a "viral site")--but I found the malware also would not allow me to open any of the antivirus software from the DVD. I am assuming I am toast. I should salvage my pics and a couple of art programs if I can get to them, and take tower somewhere to be wiped clean and re-install OS? So, my final question is: if OS is reinstalled is that considered a "pirated" OS. Will I still be able to get updates or am I than outside recognized Microsoft programs at that point? Thanks for your help.
most sincerely shelly0312

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back