TechSpot

Newest Nvidia drivers not working

By Jerdog44
May 24, 2008
  1. I have a evga 8800 gts 320mb graphics card in my new build. I download the newest set of drivers from their site (175.xx) and I install with driver cleaner pro in safe mode, and after the reboot, they look like a commodore 64. Awful. I need to reinstall the drivers that came with the card to restore my graphics. I also can't upgrade to win xp sp2, and have had trouble with installing certain apps. Alot of signs point to a bad graphics card, but evga seems to think it's okay. Any suggestions. I've ran memtest86 and my hdd's diagnostics and both passed. Bad mobo? I'm stumped.

abit ip35 pro
    q6600 cpu
    gskill 2x2gb ddr2 800
    wd 640 gb sata hdd
    evga 8800gts 320mb gpu
    seasonic s-12 550w psu

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Didn't a driver disk show up in the box with the card?

3. Jerdog44

Jerdog44 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes. I just assumed I should be able to use the latest drivers for the card. I've had problems with my system. Haven't been able to update to xp sp2 since I built it. Microsoft is actually sending me a new xp install disk with sp2 on it. Hopefully that fixes my problems, and eliminates possibility of bad hardware.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

XP Service Pack 3 has been released. There are some 90+ updates between XP SP2 and SP3

5. Jerdog44

Jerdog44 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I realize that. I've tried to update straight to sp3 with the same result. A BSOD stop error 0x0000007e. But i will be sure to get it if/when sp2 works.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Hardware incompatibilities are rare with XP these days. I have only encountered trouble with some legacy modems and video cards. I have installed XP, SP3 on a Gateway Intel based AMD K6 450MHz with 256MB of memory circa 2001 successfully. This was a fresh install of XP Pro, SP2 first

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.