Newly Built Computer Keeps Shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptFarnsworth

Sorry if this topic doesn't fit this specific forum, but I'm in a rush and couldn't a find one that really pertains to this topic.

My step-brother received all the parts for his new computer today and began putting it together the instant they arrived. His system specs are:

-4 sticks of 2gb corsair ram
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 280
-1tb HD
-MSI p45 platinum mobo
-Intel quad core 3.0 Ghz
-850w Raidmax PSU

The problem:
After spending roughly an hour putting everything in and making sure everything was plugged in to the right slots, we finally closed the case in preparation to turn it on. The computer turned on, the fans were running, monitor lit up, motherboard screen shows up, ubuntu setup loads, we choose english, and then...it shuts off. Not formally, or slowly; it just completely shuts off. We've tried switching the outlet, making sure once again that everything is plugged in, taking out some of the RAM, taking out and inspecting the PSU, and still nothing. We made sure before we even bought the parts that his PSU could support everything, so I don't think that's the problem.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be a great help.

i could be wrong, but it sounds like something is getting too hot.

how much or how little and what kind of paste did you use for the cpu before putting the cooler on it.

btw, nice setup your step brother has. ;)

i could be wrong, but it sounds like something is getting too hot.

That's what thought for awhile, but I've checked and re-checked the CPU, and it seems to have enough gel, (the HS came with a layer already on it) and sits perfectly in the right position. We checked to make sure the heatsink/fan for the CPU was placed correctly; it was. I'm really at a loss for ideas/solutions.

P.S.- Yeah, I'm a little envious of his setup myself.

well, the only thing i can think of is.....

if you have an extra psu laying around that can handle that setup, test it out and see if you get the same results.

That's what thought for awhile, but I've checked and re-checked the CPU, and it seems to have enough gel, (the HS came with a layer already on it) and sits perfectly in the right position. We checked to make sure the heatsink/fan for the CPU was placed correctly; it was. I'm really at a loss for ideas/solutions.

P.S.- Yeah, I'm a little envious of his setup myself.

That heatsink is SOLID, no movement, correct?
If it is, then I second the suggestion that it's a power supply issue, I've not heard good things about Raidmax.

Like they have suggested check to make sure your HS/F is very snug, if its not that could be your issue.

Also try letting the PC run for a few minutes without touching anything...
For example go into the BIOS on the MoBo and leave it on that screen for a longer period of time then it took it to shutdown. So if it shuts down on your after 3 minutes of running, leave it on for 6+ min, just make it alot longer. On that note if your leaving it sitting in BIOS the CPU isnt processing much, so when you start to run Linux you might be making it work more than if it was in BIOS, therefore increasing heat output.

Sometimes that little bit of crap they call thermal paste that comes on the stock heat sink, sucks.

Mine was terrible on the heatsink that came with my Q9450. I cleaned it off, and re-applied some 3rd party thermal paste and it worked well.

I didn't look up the mobo, but I assume it is an LGA 775 socket.... as mentioned above... make sure there NO play in the heatsink once it is seated. If there is any play at all, reseat it. Make sure when you are installing that you apply pressure on diagonally opposite posts at the same time. once you hear the "click" you are in! Then do the other ones.

Quick question....

When you turn it on after it has been sitting for a while.... it gets to a certain point, and shuts down. If you try to turn it on again immediately, does it reach the same point in the start up process? or does it shut down quicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back