Newly built system does not POST(problem solved) thanks to luvhuffer

here are my computer specs.

D295XCV intel mother board - returned and returned back saying it works
1 gig ocz tech ram - returned and company says it works
pentinum 4 3.6 processor 1 mb l2 cache - not returned
Asus ax700 extreme video card pci express 16 - returned and they say it works
80 gig hd - working
500 watt aspire power supply

Okay, im about to quit building pc's for the rest of my life. Awhile ago i posted but the help i recieve still couldnt help me work my pc. I first bought all my parts news. I plugged it in and it still didnt work. So i thought it was the memory so i returned it. Then i tested the computer again and no luck. So i thought it was the video card. I returned it and it still doesnt work. So finally i said it must be the mobo so i returned it and recieved it and it still doesnt work. Im following instuctions on how to do this and im building it correctly. I dont know what is the problem.

heres what happens. I turn on the computer and recieve no beeps from the onboard sound. it runs for a good 10 seconds and shut down. I recieve no signal to the monitor. I dont know the problem. Could it be the psu? i mean its 500 watts. I know i have a powerful machine but what does it take to run this. Is it the computers problem if the psu shuts down on its own. The mobos light turns on. Could it be the processor? how do i know if the mobo isnt beeping cause it doesnt beep. So i think everything is working. Any help?

sounds like the cpu but i could be wrong. the mobo isnt detecting your cpu. have u tried any other cpus in it??

Just to be 100% certain, do you get any beeps at all from the mobo, if so they are code for what is wrong, maybe there is a jumpe that needs to be added/removed. Doublecheck all connections, start with barebones, mobo, cpu, memory, video, HDD, make sure all connected securely, then try to boot.

Well you need three things minum to post they are RAM CPU and Video card .. If your not posting it is usually one of these three factors..Have you removed your battery to reset bios ? Heck have you even checked the battery itself?? Power supply should not be the issue here but you can check it with a power supply tester if you do not have one you can get one at your local computer store.. All three need power and the motherboard to work and intel said the motherboard is fine???

well the thing is i recently returned my mobo and intel sent me a totally new one. The green light turns on and everything seems to be working. I have tried to reach post but the computer runs for 10 seconds and shuts off by itself. I put in working ram, graphics card and mobo and the cpu but nothing. I havent tried any other cpus just the one i bought, i am thinking about returning the cpu now meaning i have returned everything =/. The mobo has an onboard sound to detect errors, but i get no errors cause its not beeping.Not even a beep when i turn it on. Battery supply tester? how much does that cost.

Do you have the CPU heatsink fan connected to the right connector on the mobo? They should be marked cpufan sysfan etc. If it's plugged into the wrong connector it won't post if it doesn't sense a CPU fan connected. make sure the CPU fan starts when you power up.

Also, on the end of your memory are little 1/2 circle notches. Make sure the fasteners are clicked into the notches showing your memory is seated all the way. It's best to install your memory before you install the mobo to the case. It takes a good bit of push to seat them sometimes. Before it's attached the mobo won't flex, lessening the chance you crack the board.

You have thermal paste or the pad on the stock heatsink? Make sure the heatsink is fastened correctly. There should be 9 holes for mounting the mobo. The mount holes should have metal looking rings around them. There should be one standoff in the case for each mounting hole. No more. If there are extra ones remove them.

Take the motherboard out of the case and set it on the static proof bag it came in, next to the case. Connect the power and try to start it up to make sure you don't have a short to the case. Do you have the 20 pin power connector AND the 4 pin connector both connected to the mobo? Try disconnecting your hard drives, floppy, and CD DVD ROMs and powering up. That's about all I can think of right now.

Okay, im about to quit building pc's for the rest of my life.

Don't do that.

I suggest you take everything apart again totally, read your motherboard manual very closely, and take your time.

the ram is securely fastened, and the heatsink is securely fastened on top of the processor. The heatsink fan also spins, the computer starts and shuts down. I have a brand new hd but even when i try it without the hd no luck. I am confused. So far i started from the basics like most of you said, meaning ram,cpu,mobo and video card and nothing. No beep, no anything it runs fine and shuts down and i dont recieve no signal to monitor. Its not the video card because i returned it and recieved it back saying tested and works. It couldnt be the ram because i returned it as well and the mobo i just got back yesterday from intel. They sent a brand new one and im sure it works. The only thing left is the processor to return and that means i have returned everything back to the company that produced the product. I dont know wtf to do.

OK then let's talk about the BIOS. Are you setting up the BIOS yourself, or are you loading the defaults? You seem to have mentioned everything but the case. Have you tried it in a different case? You may have a bad power switch. Have you double checked the power connections?

i have doubled check power connections and power works fine. I cannot even reach bios because the computer shuts off before i can reach it and i recieve no signal to monitor. I dont know whats wrong.

I mentioned this in an earlier post but did you try to boot it up with the mobo taken completely out of the case? Go here. Find this jumper. There are 3 pins. When you are looking at the mobo as it is shown on the diagram, the #1 pin is on the left. There are 3 pins. There is a jumper that covers 2 of the pins. Is that jumper covering pins #1 & 2?

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/cv/cv_confg.htm

Are the 2 sticks of RAM both in the same color DIMM slot?

luvheffer the 2 sticks of ram is in the correct place. The jumper is set to normal. What do you mean by cpu is shot? the cpu is totally new and so is the mobo. I mean it runs, if the cpu is shot i dont evne think the mobo would start when i hit the power button. The psu runs for awhile then shuts off.

Try to start tapping on F2 as soon as you use the power button to boot. See if it will take you to the BIOS screen without shutting down. If it doesn't, then move the jumper to pins 2-3 and try booting again. Did you try it with the mobo out of the case yet? Your symptoms sound like a short to the case from the mobo. You won't be able to tell until you try it out of the case.

luvheffer i dont even recieve a signal to the monitor so i cannot even see if it takes me to bios. And i dont know the difference from connecting the mobo from inside the case to outside of the case, whats the point of that? Thanks for the help though, right now i recently bought a power supply tester as mentioned above to see if its the psu. In addition the guy said my cpu might be shot so i might as well return it to intel to get a new one. Ill update as i progress, hopefully this darn thing will work. I bought it 3 months ago and its just sitting here and i am frustrated, i cannot even get my homework done and have been using my bros comp and he gets pissed cause he wants to use it. Please more help. I noticed you live in south LA, i live in orange county.

My kid lives in Huntington Beach. Where are you? You take the mobo completely out of the case, connect all the power and try to boot it. A lot of times people get shorts where the back of the mobo circuit board is touching the case. Taking it out then trying to start it is the only way to tell if that's happening. If even one of those brass standoffs is cross threaded or slightly off center it will short the case and the system will do exactly what yours is doing. By the way you do have both the power connectors attached to the board right? The regular one and the little square 4 pin +12v connector? Since you live close let me know when you're ready to throw it away. I'll dispose of it for you. <g>

P.S. Its huffer not heffer. I'm not a cow or a fat chick. LOL MOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

your kid lives very close to me . I live in westminster. I dont think ill dispose of it. so take it out of the case? hook up the ram, cpu,heatsink, and video card and try to run it to see if it works?

Ya you don't even need to have a hard drive connected. If you have the anti static bag the mobo came in inside the box, set it on that. If not some cardboard or a dry non metallic surface.

I'm running out of things to tell you to try. On your power supply there should be a switch that changes from American to European voltage. Make sure it's set for 110V and not 220V. And you can put the jumper back on pins 1-2 that's where it belongs for normal operation.

Looks very much like the problem that I had when I assembled my first Intel Pentium-IV PC: No video signal, no POST, no nothing.

When I returned the board to the store, the first thing that they asked me was: "You did connect the CPU Power Connector, didn't you?" When my reaction was just, "Huh?" :confused: they explained to me that a Pentium-IV requires extra power from a four-pin "ATX 12V Power Connector" (which was called "JPW1" on the MSI motherboard that I had).

I felt kinda stoopid - since it was explained quite clearly in the docs that came with the board... :blush:

Oh, and another problem that I once had turned out to be caused by the system fan that was connected to the motherboard. It drew too much power from the board at system start, and caused it to lock up.

As soon as I (accidentally) tried to boot the system with the system fan disconnected, it would boot up fine. I subsequently replaced the fan, and haven't had any further problems ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back