Newly installed Windows Vista returns BSOD errors within minutes of booting

zachapre

Hello everyone!

First off, I have recently built my own computer and here are the specifications:
MSI H55 E33 motherboard
8gb Patriot DDR3 RAM
160gb Seagate Hard Drive
Intel i3 550 @3.20ghz

I recently installed a copy of Windows Vista 64-bit on my new build. The install went well, but after that things began to go sour.
Every single time i turn on my computer I login and begin checking my email, Facebook, run a program, etc then boom! I get a BSOD out of nowhere, at random.These always happen within 10 minutes of the computer being on! Even if i just login and let it sit for 5 minutes it will get a BSOD error.
Here are some of the errors I have gotten:

0x109
0x24
0x4E

I have no idea why this is happening because i am able to use Safe Mode with networking just fine AND i have Ubuntu 11.10 installed and it works well also (not on a virtual machine, HD is partitioned).

Any ideas/fixes for this? Bad copy of windows? Bad driver?

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!
-Preston

Yes, Yellow marks next to several devices....I attached the minidumps (.zip) and a screenshot of device manager...
I should probably mention that I have a PCI wifi card in my machine that isnt installed and doesn't work...I believe that it is defective but, I am not sure.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    180.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes, lets take care of those yellow things first... Looks like you need to re-install the motherboards chipset (SM Bus) driver and that unknown device, could be a card reader or some other similar device. That simple communications device is a phone modem. The network card should be removed if it isn't an on-board device... These NEED to be correct before we continue. The minidumps are pointing to the hard drive. Does this drive have many partitions? It is very small for today's programs and OS's

Yes, lets take care of those yellow things first... Looks like you need to re-install the motherboards chipset (SM Bus) driver and that unknown device, could be a card reader or some other similar device. That simple communications device is a phone modem. The network card should be removed if it isn't an on-board device... These NEED to be correct before we continue. The minidumps are pointing to the hard drive. Does this drive have many partitions? It is very small for today's programs and OS's
Alright, so I took care of those yellow things, except for the PCI simple communications controller, i don't know where the software would be for that so I just disabled the driver for now, no more yellow things! The unknown device was an external hard drive and I was able to re-install the SM Bus driver from the motherboard website: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H55M-E33.html#/?div=Detail
F.Y.I...after taking care of those drivers I rebooted into "normal" mode and within a good 10 minutes BSOD :/

What should be my next step of action?

"except for the PCI simple communications controller"...

This is a phone modem. Do you have one installed? Are you overclocking?

These are pointing to a hard drive issue NTFS FILE SYSTEM. That 160GB hard drive may be failing

Hmmm...If it is failing, why does Ubuntu work fine and Windows Vista works great in safe mode. Any way around this? I don't really have the money to buy a new hard drive. However, I do have a Western Digital 2TB externall HDD, Is there any way I could make the external HDD an internal one?

I understand this, but that 160GB drive must be over 4 years old. It must also be IDE and not SATA. The external drive is SATA I'm sure, so you might need an IDE to SATA converter before you can use the external drive in the desktop

Ok, thank you! However, I have an IDE to SATA converter in my computer right now for the drive, because I upgraded the MOBO it only had one IDE port (used by disc player). The board does have 7 Sata II Ports, I think. I have an extra Sata cable, could I just open up my external HDD and take out the HDD, mount it and use the Sata cable? Or will I have to do a bunch of disk formatting? Also, will my data be saved?

Disconnect the 160GB drive temporarily, and hook up the other SATA drive. Format it and install Windows and all the updates, then hook up the old drive as a second drive and transfer all the data you want off of it

Disconnect the 160GB drive temporarily, and hook up the other SATA drive. Format it and install Windows and all the updates, then hook up the old drive as a second drive and transfer all the data you want off of it
Ok, how do I format it without losing data? Can you give me a how to or something to go by?

I thought that SATA drive was empty... Unless you have a free partition on that drive, you will have to format it and install Windows before you try to recover any data off the 160GB drive

My external and internal HDDs both have data on them. My external has a little less than a terabyte of data on it (its a 2tb drive)...and again, can I please have some instructions. I don't know how to do any of this, that's why I am here.

I have given you all the instructions I can at this time... You MUST get a clean hard drive and format and install Windows of your choice. The attach the 160GB as a second drive and move the data you want from the 160 to the new C or boot drive. I can't be clearer than this :(

I have given you all the instructions I can at this time... You MUST get a clean hard drive and format and install Windows of your choice. The attach the 160GB as a second drive and move the data you want from the 160 to the new C or boot drive. I can't be clearer than this :(
Thank you. I appreciate the help!!

I successfully disassembled my external HDD, got the actual HDD out of the case, mounted it in my computer and attached it with success. However, i only have one cord at the moment so only the 2tb (old external one) is hooked up. I put in the Vista install disk but don't want to install it until I know for sure how to keep it from formatting/deleting files. If I were to partition the data off from where Vista would install, would my data be saved?

How many partitions are on the external HDD? If you have more than one, and you know what partition contains your data you can install Windows on the other partition. it is possible to partition a drive that has data on it already with the proper program. You really need to back up your data to DVD's, BLU-Ray discs, spare hard drives and even CD's. Important data should be backed up on several devices...

How many partitions are on the external HDD? If you have more than one, and you know what partition contains your data you can install Windows on the other partition. it is possible to partition a drive that has data on it already with the proper program. You really need to back up your data to DVD's, BLU-Ray discs, spare hard drives and even CD's. Important data should be backed up on several devices...
Currently there are no seprate partitions on the drive. Can I partition it with the Windows Vista disk, I believe it has an option to expand, delete, and create partitions. If not should i take it out, put it back in casing and use a program to do it? Any recommended programs?

Also the reason I have not backed it up is because there is just under 1tb of data...thats about 100 gigabytes :p

Back