TechSpot

News Corp. lost a quarter of a billion dollars on Myspace

By Shawn Knight
Aug 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In a recent News Corp. conference call discussing the company’s fiscal fourth quarter earnings, it was disclosed that the media conglomerate had lost $254 million on the purchase and subsequent…

Read the whole story

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Serves them right I'd say. In fact I think they should be broken up into several smaller organization (perhaps one for each country) to break this stupid 'monopolized' hold of newscorp on (nearly) everything.

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,083   +41

How do I my space?

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,085   +715

who's 'Them'? Newscorp doesn't have feelings. Or are you happy that half the Myspace staff got laid off?

5. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. To bad Rupert Murdoch's financial empire will survive selling my|_____| at a loss.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

I was referring to Murdoch & Co. and regarding MySpace workers, Myspace was pretty much doomed anyway, so the loss of jobs is an tragic eventuality.

7. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Good. Could only have been better if it bankrupted them.

8. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

This made me go back and check up on my old profile...I hadn't been there in almost 2 1/2 years. It's definitely changed a lot...looks even more like crap than it did 2 1/2 years ago, lol.

9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Could have sworn they lost more than that.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,727   +888

Working for "Myspace" is actually considered having a job?

11. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Rookie Posts: 55   +9

Hey, little people! thanks for the refund...You lot have no idea.....A big money pit like MySpace is like printing money for my other tidy little earners...IRS refunds are fantastic! I can defer tax on shity losses from MySpace and cream it in for the next 20 years, before I bankcrupt it, leaving not a penny in MySpace to pay back the tax deferral. Nice little wease curtosy of Reagan and co.
    Yours Humbly
    Bob Murdock.

12. petert

petert TS Rookie Posts: 17

It is the cycle of life. MySpace stepped in, brought some interesting ideas, took of then landed miserably. It will probably die sometime in the following 5 years. Facebook will meet the same doom. There is always a newcomer ready to replace an old dying.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.