TechSpot

Next-gen Atom to feature 8 cores, OOE and Turbo Boost

By Rick
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel's next generation Atom-based SoC is on the way and Xbit Labs provides some of the details. Dubbed Avoton, Intel's upcoming system-on-a-chip will be based on 22nm Silvermont architecture and feature eight cores sharing 4MB of L2 cache (1MB per...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

Im confused. low power server=Ferrari with camry engine?

3. dawei1993

dawei1993 TS Rookie Posts: 37

Octacore ATOM cpu? hmm

4. wujj123456

wujj123456 TS Rookie Posts: 29

"eight cores sharing 4MB of L2 cache (1MB per core)"

Someone got a math problem here. I bet it's the regular 4-core HT.

5. Willbur73

Willbur73 TS Rookie

No. Tough to compare with cars, with my limited car knowledge, but the point isn't for the SoC to pose as a Ferrari.

Basically, it would be like comparing a 1st-gen i7 and a 3rd gen i7. Way more power, on a smaller size. So you save power most of all, without sacrificing much, if any, from traditional server setups.

So having a server farm with these new chips would drastically reduce the power consumption. And the more servers you have, the more power you are saving, really.

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Yea the source (cpu-world) says:
    "The CPU part of the Avoton SoC will pack from 2 to 8 Atom cores. Each pair of cores will share 1 MB L2 cache, therefore the 8-core version of the chip will have 4 MB of level 2 cache."

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,505   +312

I'm actually looking forward to this, the HP MicroServer N40L would benefit a lot from a processor like this :)

8. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Love progress.

9. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

These could be really fun! I wonder what the pricing is going to be like.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.