Next iPod touch to get FaceTime-compatible camera?

Jos

Staff

For the last few years Apple has updated its iPod lineup at an early September music-oriented event. This year will likely be no different; and it only makes sense that the next version of Apple's touch-friendly player would include some features from its latest smartphone. The higher-resolution 'Retina Display' seems like a fair bet. But recent leaks hint at another flagship iPhone 4 feature that might make it to the iPod touch: a front-facing, FaceTime-compatible camera.

The latest tidbit comes from a couple of photos leaked to MacRumors showing what looks like the front assembly of the device, and most importantly, a hole where a front-facing camera might go. The parts are stamped with markings that lend some authenticity that they are actual Apple parts. And while these kinds of images tend to start circulating before any upcoming Apple announcement, the strongest evidence that the company is planning to roll out FaceTime video calling on future non-iPhone devices actually comes from the latest iOS beta software.

Apparently, a new option in the iOS 4.1 Beta 3 "Contacts" application allows users to make FaceTime calls using either a phone number or an email address. The option would allow devices not associated with a phone number -- such as the iPad and iPod touch -- to make FaceTime calls provided they're updated with the necessary hardware. Seeing how Steve Jobs promised to deliver "tens of millions of FaceTime devices" before the end of 2010, this seems like a logical step.

Permalink to story.

god knows what BMK means.....

anyway... so what does apple expect people to do with this extra cam? when was the last time you received a video call???????

voodoo_god said:
god knows what BMK means.....

anyway... so what does apple expect people to do with this extra cam? when was the last time you received a video call???????

Once a week to talk to my Grandsons across country. This would be real cool. Skype in my pocket.

jakeshjo1953 said:
voodoo_god said:
Once a week to talk to my Grandsons across country. This would be real cool. Skype in my pocket.

Skype is already there for your pocket. As long as you can live without the front-facing camera for devices without the hardware.

Check Skype.com.

They have mobile versions of skype which work with Windows Mobile, iOS and probably Android. Check out the version for iPhone/iPod here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/iphone-for-skype/

It works great on my iPaq 110, except for the fact that it has no camera.

Sorry. I didn't quote that properly! :) this is what I meant to say:

Skype is already there for your pocket. As long as you can live without the front-facing camera for devices without the hardware.

Check Skype.com.

They have mobile versions of skype which work with Windows Mobile, iOS and probably Android. Check out the version for iPhone/iPod here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/iphone-for-skype/

It works great on my iPaq 110, except for the fact that it has no camera.

UV :)

Back