NIC card issues

dg110270

I just purchased a used Gateway notebook model MX 7118. I'm having problems setting up an eithenet connection thru my cable TV provider. My desktop works great on this connection. On the notebook, I went to Start/Run and typed in (ping 127.0.0.1) and that test passed. Next I typed (ping google.com) and that failed. What should I do next? Assuming I may need a NIC how do I find out what type NIC I have and the part number? Last question is how do I remove the NIC from the notebook? I can't find a tear down manual. My serial # is N326161041342.

Thanks for that great info. I know the laptop is failing when I ping to Google.com. Is there a way to put an external turn around plug into the eithernet connector and do a loop test? that would conferm the adapter can send and receive. The ping 127.0.0.1 test is an internal loop test only I think and it works ok. I'm trying to proove if my adapter is bad or the DNS setup.

Name: google.com
Addresses: 66.102.7.99,

if you can ping these addresses but not ping google.com, then you have a DNS issue

Thanks Jobeard for responding to my problem. I cannot ping Google.com or 106.102.7.99 or 106.102.7.104. I tried to establish a broadband cable thru my email provider (AOL) and got a message that there might be a firewall on the laptop. How can I clean the comm section of this laptop out and start over. Reminder: It was used and loaded with XP. If I'm on the wrong section of the forum, which one should I be on?

Tips on using AOL.
  • You need to LOGIN to your aol account to get the connection
  • once connected, you can minimize that window
  • then you can launch a browser and 'surf the net' like the rest of us.
After doing just that, get me some documentation; run->CMD and enter
ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
once done, follow-up here and attach the myTCP.txt file

this will show us the critical info on your connectivity

Hi Jobeard. I can tell you want to help but I'm not understanding your lattest instruction. I cannot establish a connection at all. If I try to connect to AOL I get a message:
"Computer can't get an internet connection (Error : 73-CHOM) AOL has detected a firewall.

I'm lost!

Hi Jobeard. I can tell you want to help but I'm not understanding your lattest instruction. I cannot establish a connection at all. If I try to connect to AOL I get a message:
"Computer can't get an internet connection (Error : 73-CHOM) AOL has detected a firewall.

I'm lost!
hmm, that's the first mention of that symptom buddy - - hard to hit a moving target :)

Ok, I'll try to lead using these questions:
  1. what OS and SP level is on the laptop?
  2. which firewall are you using?
  3. have you EVER made a connection from the latop to the Internet?
  4. what Router are you using?
  5. is this a wired or wifi connection?

1. OS is Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Serv Pack 3 Build 2600
2. Would not be able to recognize a firewall if it hit me in the face. May have one from previous owner or could it be AOL or my cable provider with a firewall??
3. I have been able to surf the internet using a non secured Starbucks WiFi connection.
4. I'm trying to connect thru an adapter box provided by my cable TV provider. It currently works well with my desktop PC and House Internet Phones.
5. I want it to run on my wired desktop connection so I unplugged the eithernet cable from my desktop PC and plugged it into the laptop. That is when it fails to connect using AOL.

Back