TechSpot

Nielsen: iPhone 4S helps Apple close sales gap with Android

By Jos
Jan 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Market research firm Nielsen has posted its latest figures on smartphones sales within the U.S. and they show how Apple's new iPhone 4S has helped the company close the gap…

Read the whole story
  2. Looks like apple's making a comeback. Look out android. :p
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 964   +97

I wonder if any of those sales were replacements due to the brittle front and back glass breaking.

I sold my iPhone 4 32GB, because I needed the money and replaced it with a SGS Fascinate and I LOVE it! Cyanogenmod 7.1 made me love it even more, because now its faster than an iPhone 4/S. Navigating iOS was so frustrating. Had to wait for iOS 5.0 just to be able to minimize the keyboard when text messaging, closing running apps takes too long, the home button started to take multiple presses to get it register after a while. And try moving the cursor to exactly where you want it. It's made me want to throw the thing on a number of occasions. The things I do like about the iPhone 4 is it's a good looking phone, battery life, and the retina display, but it's still too damn small at 3.5". WP7 and Android are way better if you actually want a phone that works how it should.

YouTube: iPhone 4S vs SGS II Drop test
  4. Apple's products are not built to be thrown or dropped. lols
  5. Nothing to fear on Android's part. The iPhone has less than half the features of Android, even after copying a bunch.
  6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Rookie Posts: 96   +13

There inst a single device made to be thrown or dropped. They are designed to withstand damage when dropped accidentally.
  7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Neither are babies but it still happens.

Going to go ahead and agree with both statements, apple products aren't built to be thrown or dropped but what is other than a toughbook and those things cost around 5-6 grand.
  8. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 353   +40

I wonder what boosted the sales so much. It wasn't the hardware upgrade cause there basically wasn't one. Besides sheep don't care about hardware, You can only care about things you understand. I guess their speech recognition gimmick is selling.
  9. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

How does windows mobile have so much? It was dead before WP7 came out.
  10. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,349   +439 Staff Member

If my Galaxy i9000 was an iPhone I would have destroyed it over a year ago. Sh*t happens and if you carry around a small device like a phone all day every day it needs to be durable.
  11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

I'm confused as to why people view the iPhone as weak? My 3GS has been dropped more than any other phone i've owned in recent years and it only has a few scratches? I recently got the 4S and i've already dropped it a few times (on wood floor mind) and hasn't even made a scratch yet?
    I have never used cases as I hate them and whats the point in buying a great looking phone if its going to be wrapped in cheap plastic all day?

My old Motorola's died after the first year of use and my Nokia's all scratched much easier than my iPhone's have. Although my Sony Ericsson's have taken one hell of a beating and still work to this day with only a few scratches!

12. Yup my 4s is pretty strong...dropped mine a few times also. This is my first iPhone so I can't compare prior iOS's but I am amazed how everything just works like you think it should..Glad I went with a iPhone verses all the other crappy phones I've had in my life.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.