Nintendo 2DS XL Review

The only thing I hate about the DS' right now is the "joystick". Hate how stupid it is to keep it in the position that you want to go. If I want to run forward for a bit, it's just uncomfortable trying to hold it there. At least with a console controller (of which I'm used to), there is little effort to hold it.

I know it needs to fold up, but it's too annoying for long sessions. I feel like they could get a spherical thumbstick in there...

(Ps. I think the whole DS generally doesn't feel good in hand, but I give it a pass because it has to be a convenient shape for portability)

The only thing I hate about the DS' right now is the "joystick". Hate how stupid it is to keep it in the position that you want to go. If I want to run forward for a bit, it's just uncomfortable trying to hold it there. At least with a console controller (of which I'm used to), there is little effort to hold it.
I know it needs to fold up, but it's too annoying for long sessions. I feel like they could get a spherical thumbstick in there...

(Ps. I think the whole DS generally doesn't feel good in hand, but I give it a pass because it has to be a convenient shape for portability)

I have the exact same complaint about the joystick and the shape of the DS, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the console the last 5 years. I bought an aftermarket grip that made the device more ergonomic and it solved all my problems with my hand cramping from the layout of the joystick. Sadly my 3ds hasn't been touched since I got my Switch :-/

Last edited:
If this would have come out at the same time that the new 3ds xl model did I would have gotten it. But there is nothing worth upgrading (sidegrading) to.

Only a quick passing mention of the DSi when it seems similar? Are there/what are the differences/advantages, or is it basically a way to get more money from customers?

Nintendo? never understood why are they still in business ...
You are right, I cant imagine how a company that sold 67 million 3DSs, over 150 million DSs, and has sold hundreds of millions of copies of pokemon, mario, zelda, pinkmin, metroid, starfox, and donkeykong could ever survive. /s

they survive by being different. Not everybody wants to play call of halo 67: battlefield honor edition. Nintendo's stable of IP is suitably different, earning it a loyal fanbase of people who like platformers or games that are not serious, just fun to play, especially in groups. Being child friendly has also earned them a place in households.

Back