TechSpot

Nintendo 3DS price slashed from $250 to $170 amid weak sales

By Matthew
Jul 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Prompted by weak sales, Nintendo has announced plans to drastically reduce the price of its latest handheld console. The Nintendo 3DS launched less than six months ago for $250 with…

Read the whole story

2. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Would've taken Sony a month of heavy consumer backlash before offering the 20 downloads to recent customers. Tip of the hat to you Nintendo. I might just go buy one to encourage your beneficence.

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

This is a different scenario. They are reducing the price of an item that costed more to early buyers; it is only rational for them to compensate the consumers.

In Sony's case, nobody actually lost money for not being able to play online. Sony gave away those freebies to every single PS3 user, including those not even minimally affected by the hack. Again, different scenario.

Alternatively, $170.00 is not bad at all. Funny how its MSRP is $250.00, but they just reduced it to $170.00. Why not $150.00? For some reason (other than the logical one, of course), to consumers $150.00 just <i>looks</i> better than $170.00. :)

4. Finally a price drop. I can't wait to not buy one.

Seriously, if it says nintendo, it's a DO NOT WANT in my book.

5. I thought it was way overpriced to begin with. I bought a used one from a yard sale for a 100 bucks with 2 games. Gave it to my boy well he got tired of it in a couple weeks. Him and his friends are too hooked on garry's mod to play anything else, go figure. I fiddled with it for awhile well far as im concerned just junk to me. Im sure i can resell it for close to what i gave for it after the price drop.

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

I might consider it now for the upgrade from my DS Lite. Though I'm definitely NOT happy about the battery life of the 3DS. I'll probably still use the DS Lite as a backup for extended gaming sessions on non-3DS cards.

On another note I have yet to see a 3DS demo unit in any store that sells them. I wonder why? Surely that would boost sales?

7. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 687   +47

Having never owned a DS, i decided to pick up a 3ds last month. It might not have a ton of games but with the entire DS library open to play i could care less. I am extremely happy i'm getting 20 free games!

8. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Also they are GOOD games, not piles of garbage! I'm really psyched for the free games as well.

I've kind of been on the fence about my 3ds, haven't played it since i beat ghost recon, so i was going to sell it. Then I checked the upcoming games list and saw 2 metal gear solid games, one is exclusive.. I can't pass up on that!

9. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

wow, nintendo is the only company i know that legitmately cares about not ripping off early adopters. well done indeed

10. Wont be getting this even if price drops further. Nintendo needs to stop with the old rehash games an move on to new things. How can you launch a new system without games an expect it to sell? Not to mention their 3D glasses free crap. No wonder parents arent buying it...kids will go blind.

Same thing will happen to the Wii-U, DOA if they dont launch it with GAMES an no more zelda mario or wateva other recycled games. Give us fresh new games and a better more powerful HD system.

11. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 978   +87

I have yet to see a Nintendo 3DS. The initial price kept me from upgrading my DS Lite to the 3DS. Now that the price is lower, I still don't think it's made it into that attractive point for me. As Guest above mentions the technology and the games haven't really improved, and I'm not jumping on this 3D bandwagon just yet.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.