Nintendo 3DS sales shot up 45 percent in 2013

By Shawn Knight
Jan 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Nintendo’s Wii U isn’t nearly as successful as the company might have hoped for but the same can’t be said about the 3DS. Despite the fact that smartphones now account for the majority of mobile gaming, Nintendo has managed to...

Read more
  2. Of course sales increased now that the Nintendo Pokémon Machine has Pokémon X & Y.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

As a kid who grew up with the original Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda, I'm glad to see Nintendo has been able to stay in the game.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,131   +493

What helped the 3DS alot is the 2DS option (Since those figure count towards the 3DS) and the recent game launches. New Ace Attorney, the Pokemon games, and more have helped get the Handheld off the ground. Honestly if they had waited on its release till more games were available, we never would have even heard the console was doing bad.
  5. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 187   +39

Certain games pretty much lead to a higher purchase rate, especially in Japan which was the first major shot in the arm. I know people would likely overlook Animal Crossing in all this, but that really I'm sure drove up a lot of sales also. We obviously had really interesting titles coming up through the mid-late 2013, so it helped really bring in more purchases of the 3DS and 2DS.

Given the 2DS is pretty much likely the most expensive, a parent would consider for kids while including games. Obviously this is in no relation to consoles, being they are on a completely different level altogether. Also $400-500 gift is hard to really justify sometimes, not saying it doesn't actually happen though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.