Nintendo eyeing first annual loss in 30 years, reveals Wii U release date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo is on par to record their first annual loss in over 30 years. The once dominate gaming company has since fallen on hard times, posting a loss for the first three quarters of their 12-month reporting period with even greater losses likely on the horizon. The potential saving grace for Nintendo, the Wii U, isn’t scheduled to arrive in time to help this year's income.

For the nine month period ending December 31, 2011, Nintendo posted a 48.3 billion yen (roughly $625 million) net loss. During the same reporting period in 2010, the company generated a profit of 49.6 billion yen (roughly $641 million). Nintendo did not break down the profit / loss statement into quarters.

A previous forecast saw the company losing around 20 billion yen (roughly $258 million) for the full year but that figure has now been modified to 65 billion yen (around $840 million).

nintendo wii wii u release date

Poor sales of the Nintendo 3DS, a glasses-free 3D handheld gaming system, are to blame for the pending annual loss. The company launched the portable system in February / March 2011 at $249.99 (North America) but the system failed to generate worthwhile sales. The price was then slashed to $169.99 which did spur sales a little bit but by that point, it was too little, too late.

While 2011 may very well be a loss, 2012 seems promising as Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told reporters today that the company will be launching the Wii U in time for the lucrative 2012 holiday season.

Permalink to story.

i think that this new console its the end of nintendo...nothing to do here

Meh, I just don't think that controller will be any good, I bet the battery lasts 5 seconds and since you can only use one at a time with the console I really can't see the point in it.

"Meh, I just don't think that controller will be any good, I bet the battery lasts 5 seconds and since you can only use one at a time with the console I really can't see the point in it."

That has not been confirmed by Nintendo. It has been said that they are working to allow 2-3 such controllers to work simultaneously with the Wii U.

Also, latest rumors are pointing to the next Xbox only having a weak HD6670 GPU which is barely better than the RV770 in the Wii U. As such, Nintendo has a strong shot, assuming it can sort out its key problems:

1) Lack of 3rd party developer support
2) Lack of mature games that attract hardcore gamers
3) Lack of online gaming/online multiplayer integration.

nintendo should ditch this whole thing as its primary focus and make it a side thing, like playstation and xbox did. The only wii games really play are SSBB and mario kart wii occaisionally, both in which i can use a gamecube controller...I miss gamecube, and still play alot of its games sometimes.

Guest said:
i think that this new console its the end of nintendo...nothing to do here
it's basically the Xbox 720 with a better controller, I can't see how you could have such a negative view so early on.

I hope the best for Nintendo, but at this point unless they can show by E3 that all these ports of current HD titles are significantly special to the unique platform and a couple of suprise exclusive launch titles they are going to have to wait. The long wait... And if they don't use bluray and stick with DVD they are really asking for trouble...

As for the Wii, they should open the platform up like apple or at least to the level of Microsoft and create and indie wing on their market to crowd source new developers.

They will learn either way... they will learn... or sadly go down if they don't adapt to a dominant Western way of doing things now.

Really?! Do people here really think a controller for a home console should be anything like what Nintendo has come up with? I mean, Xbox, PS3 and Wii controllers don't have the greatest battery lifes anyway, but then add a big old screen on it and camera? Plus I guess now the wireless signal will need to be upgraded making use of more power...
Unless this controller is going to be incredibly heavy, I really cannot see it being any good.

I loved the N64, The gamecube was ok, the Wii was a pile of gimmicks that were never really very useful (although I did enjoy Super Mario Galaxy) I do hope this console gets better games, the Wii didn't really have that many good games.

Back