Nintendo unveils its next-generation console, Wii U

Matthew DeCarlo

Nintendo unveiled the successor to its Wii today at E3, leaving many onlookers baffled. Called the Wii U, the company's next-generation console aims to bridge the gap between casual and hardcore gamers -- the latter of which were which were abandoned by the Wii. Nintendo wants the Wii U to offer something for everyone, claiming it "will create a deeper experience for even the most passionate gamers."

The most puzzling thing about the Wii U -- apart from its name -- is undoubtedly Nintendo's new controller concept. At first glance, it appears to be an entirely separate device, featuring a built-in 6.2-inch touchscreen, speaker, microphone and camera alongside the traditional buttons, directional controls (two analog sticks and a D-pad), as well as sensors including a gyroscope and an accelerometer.

While it may resemble the bottom half of a 3DS, the controller isn't a self-contained system like a portable console. It connects to a separate box that pumps graphics to your TV, just like most other full-scale consoles. However, the Wii U is more flexible, as the controller's integrated screen can serve as your primary (and only) display, allowing you or your family members to use the TV while you play.

nintendo wii

When the controller's screen is used in conjunction with your TV, it can enrich the experience by displaying a different view of the game, statistics or whatever else developers dream up. Although the controller is motion-sensitive, we imagine you probably won't want to dance around the living room with it, nor will you want to buy extras for your buddies as they'll probably be pretty expensive -- initially, anyway.

Fortunately, the Wii U is backward compatible with Wii games and accessories. It can also handle 1080p video, is powered by an IBM CPU, has internal flash storage along with support for SD cards and USB drives, plays proprietary discs and digital downloads, and is due between next April and December. Launch titles include Batman, Tekken, Assassin's Creed, Metro and other popular franchises.

Permalink to story.

I was blown away when i read about the tech demos, I really underestimated what nintendo was gonna do with this generation.

My only question is about the graphics, are they going to be better than PS3 and the 360, or just on par... If they aren't better, not really a next gen system IMO...

Supposedly the Wii U is faster than the PS3, but I don't think developers had a good chance to work with the hardware yet. Maybe in a year or two the games will look at least as good as the 360 and PS3, or better

No, no, and no. I like Nintendo, and the system seems capable but the controller... that <I>thing</I> just looks awful, and looks like it would get extremely uncomfortable after long gaming sessions. Besides, they haven't announced any launch exclusives, there is going to be little to no reason for gamers to switch from a PS3/360 to a... Wii U. Really?

The wii u console looks like the wii and 360 had a baby!!! SERIOUSLY LOOKS SWEET BUT VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE 360 SLIM.

I can see lots of people getting hand cramps from using that controller. From the looks of things it's not even possible to hit those buttons at the bottom without letting go of it.

Also pleasing both hardcore and casual gamers is an impossible concept, but let's see what happens. The games sounds decent at least.

veedubguy said:
My only question is about the graphics, are they going to be better than PS3 and the 360, or just on par... If they aren't better, not really a next gen system IMO...

Was the original Wii's graphics on par with the PS3 and 360? No? Then if this one is, it's next generation. Pretty simple concept...

That controller is going to be extremely diffficult to use for prolonged periods of time in FPS games. Even if it is light, your hands would be very far apart (probably 7+ inches given the screen size). Also, the controller doesn't seem to have enough buttons and isn't very suitable for first person shooters. Perhaps Nintendo will wow with new style of games though. But the core audience of the Wii (motion type of games) will also be alienated by this system since it no longer has that unique competitive advantage (with PS Move and Xbox Kinect). Not sure this design is enough of a breakthrough for the next 5-6 years. And graphics may not be enough of an improvement either. Hmm.....Certainly a huge gamble for Nintendo.

I haven't owned a single Nintendo system since N64 and this one doesn't entice me to purchase it either. This is because I would have to buy in "faith" that Nintendo will be able to finally bring strong 3rd party support. I might wait 1-2 years to see how this pans out and pull the trigger on the next PS4 or Xbox or this depending on how they stack up in 2013-2014.

What a graphics *****. So if it doesn't offer any good gameplay but has nearly perfect graphics, its the next and best system?

If a lot of people criticize the controller, it might have a similar effect like what happened to the PS3. The "boomerang" controller announced before was severely criticized...and now we have the Dualshock 3, basically the same. Not like I'm saying Nintendo will revert to the old WiiMote, but anything can happen now, really.

I fear that it might flop still... due to that they didn't focus on games for hardcore gamers. but I would want to get it so I could play the next zelda and whatever. Also, if I can't transfer my wii store games, I will be very ticked off...

What a graphics *****. So if it doesn't offer any good gameplay but has nearly perfect graphics, its the next and best system?

No, but it's too easy these days to have hardware capable of displaying decent graphics for it not to be taken into consideration. The Wii just looks painful once you stretch those low res graphics past 40-50". They're going to have to pull out all the stops to get me interested this time - I gave up on my Wii right after I got it. Even my 6 year old daughter has been complaining about how it looks for over a year now.

That control looks uncomfortable, maybe it has some support on the back for your hands and lol for how far the L and R buttons are from the front ones, and whats whit the anemic Xbox xD?
oh man they had to use Link do they? i feel so disconnected from it since the GC came out since im not buying a console to play a single game :(

I would imagine that you will be able to get different controllers just like the Wii, I mean come on...
I think it's a good idea being able to just play on the controller if you like.

Its pretty easy for it to beat the other 6 year old consoles graphic wise. Looks very interesting and unique. I would love to give it a try. I am guessing they will have a lot of different controllers not just that one. It would be pretty sweet to play while someone is watching tv sitting next to you. Finally consoles are catching back up to pc's. Let the next generation games begin!

Furethermore as they mention in the article you can use your old wii peripherals on it...

bchen88c said:
If a lot of people criticize the controller, it might have a similar effect like what happened to the PS3. The "boomerang" controller announced before was severely criticized...and now we have the Dualshock 3, basically the same. Not like I'm saying Nintendo will revert to the old WiiMote, but anything can happen now, really.

That "boomerang" controller wasn't the Dualshock 3. It was simply a prototype Sony used as a possible concept controller. They realized that they did not need to fix was wasn't broken, and that's why we have the Dualshock 3. Currently, the dualshock is considered the best controller, and it has become pretty much a standard for third-party manufacturers. But this, this Wii U controller is not a prototype or a concept, it's the real thing.

Alternatively, the problem with this controller is the unnecessary width, and lack of proper grip, something that the Dualshock 3 and the 360 controller do very well (as any standard gamepad should).

I seriously can't see someone playing, say, Street Fighter--no, scratch that... say, Super Smash Bros. for 4-5 hours with friends, and not feel both tired and uncomfortable after the first hour or two. Not to mention the clearly gimmicky touchscreen display. Why, I ask, <i>why</i> do we need a 6.2-inch touchscreen, speaker, microphone and camera on a controller?

All i can think of is how many controllers and/or screens are gonna get broken. Then the returns...

Gimmick console + gimmick controller that is big and probably expensive, isn't the best way to attract hardcore gamers. That being said i think with RPG, MMO and driving games have potential. Not sure how Tekken will be with this controller, considering its a button mashing game

Gimmick controller? Nintendo were the first to market these "hardcore" controllers that the Xbox and PS3 use.

You need to learn your video game console history to realize that Nintendo is always the first to release new input devices.

a lot of you complain to much. Gee what if a third party brings out a xbox like controller problem solved. for the fighting games and whatever. im sure they will

Sorry to tell you this, but the controller is a gimmick, any which way you put it. Whether it be innovative or stupid, its still a gimmick

Back