TechSpot

Nintendo's new 3DS XL: a new, bigger 3DS

By Julio Franco
Jun 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The screen is 90 percent bigger, with larger bottom and top screens. It's called the Nintendo 3DS LL in Japan and the Nintendo 3DS XL in the West. The top screen measures at 4.88 inches and is 90 percent bigger,…

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +390

if only it had a GBA slot...I would buy this crap in a heartbeat.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Ha-ha, still smaller than even Samsung Note :)

5. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 388   +53

They should've launched the 3ds with the xl version. Not that this gives me a sudden desire to buy or anything. 3D has lost its luster for me and I'd rather have console level quality if I want portable gaming. Vita is just a better fit for me.

6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

If it was half the price I might consider it, but for $200 its still steep. I guess I just don't see the value in something like this. Vita for $50 more and its does so much more, just no 3D which is actually a bonus for me. That "3D" just never worked with my eyes, maybe thats part of the problem. Also the fact thats its a new product and looks like something out of the 90s.

PS. Haha, thats my main problem with Nintendo, they're just stuck in the 90s. Thats the last time any of their products interested me.

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

I guess I'm not a good consumer but I still think of 3D as a gimmick, and not a feature. What I've been looking from a Nintendo DS is a larger screen, higher resolution, backwards compatibility, and better performance. Those few things would have made me jump. Guess I'll still wait for that to happen. Sorry Nintendo, you're close but close is not good enough for a few hundred.

8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +390

I actually agree as well, I just love the size of the screens and the joystick. 3D is just a waste to add to this product IMO, it drives up prices for something alot of people dont even want.

9. So are the screens going to be upscaled like on the DSi XL? Or are we going to see a higher native resolution on those larger screens?
    I swear, you can see the gaps between the pixels on the DSi XL.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.