No 3D drivers found

cableman

I just had a system crash due to a really bad virus and so I re-installed Windows XP Professional on a Dell Optiplex 330. It has a dual core processor and I am running 4GB of DDR2 ram. I have a video card installed (Multimedia 3D Graphics Accelerate model # GF9400GT) but the installation disc doesn't want to install.

I happened upon my problem by accident while installing the marine aquarium screensaver and obviously it won't work. I keep getting a message saying "Could not find any compatible Direct 3D devices"

I have gone to the Dell Web site and downloaded all applicable drivers and installed the latest direct x version that I could find but there is still a problem. Before my Windows crash I had no problem with this screensaver or my video card.

I also sometimes get a message saying that file E:\i386 is needed but I don't know what this is or how to repair it. I have gone to Windows update and updated all available files.

I am unsure on how to proceed so any advice is most welcome.

Whats the make and model # of you pc/laptop?

also try going into start >run and type dxdiag..

go to the "display " tab and run the direct draw and direct3dtests

I also sometimes get a message saying that file E:\i386 is needed but I don't know what this is or how to repair it. I have gone to Windows update and updated all available files.

That's the folder w/ the installation files. Easiest thing to do is look for the "i386" folder on the installation CD, then copy that folder to the hard drive, then change the registry so that Windows will automatically search in the i386 folder on the hard drive. More here: http://tweaks.com/windows/37514/change-the-default-installation-path/

Make sure the latest Windows service pack is installed, and update DirectX to version 9.0.c to make sure all software is in place.
You can also run SFC /SCANNOW at the command prompt to check the windows system files. In case there is any corruption, it will be signaled and you can repair it.

First off this advice is a little over my head. I need exact instructions. I am running a HP Probook 4525s with Windows 7

Update

I am also restricted in many areas and can't use some programs. I cannot get online even though my network connection shows a connection. My Avast anti-virus was disabled and I finally got Vipre installed which is not one of my favorites but it was all I could get on.

The system file checker needs to be run from the command prompt with admin level.
So in the Start menu, type "cmd" and wait for the command prompt shows up in the result list.
Right-click that, and in the popup menu, select "Run as administrator".
Once you see the command prompt window show up (the black window with the cursor), type: "sfc /scannow", and press Enter (don't type the quotes).
That will invoke the system file checker, so just wait and see if it finds any inconsistencies. It will offer to fix them in case it does.

Thanks so much for your reply. Thanks to all you guys that have replied. I know what to do know, I just needed a little guidance. I will let you know what happens.

Back