TechSpot

No active mixer devices available

By jeramaya
Feb 10, 2009
  1. Twice my PC has crashed (Emachine W3650) since I bought it back in the day.
    Restore drive doesn't seem to work so I borrowed a copy of Windows Home for reinstall. As Home wasn't the original OS I had to go and locate lost drivers. Got it to work again last time. This time however i am having issues with the sound card.

There are no active mixer devices available it says.
    Device Manager says I have Legacy Audio drivers (No drop down)
    Unknown PCI Device
    ----------- PCI Simple Communications Controller
    ----------- Video Controller ( VGA Compatible)
    Computer has a built in sound card
    Intel detection software says I am running Intel(R) 945GV Express Chipset Family.

I have been up for days beating my head on the wall trying to figure out what i did last time to regain my sound but im afraid no luck. Please help save an innocent computer from its destiny with the dump.

Yes I realize the OS i installed didnt have the chipset drivers I needed but as I stated earlier I had no disk (Secondary drive non operable) and have done this reinstall before and managed the fix... I just cant seem to remember how..

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I can't see how you can borrow an XP Home disc; without having a valid key
    Unless that computer has two keys :confused:

Anyway, I read the thread and it's likely requires Service Pack 2 or 3(ideally)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.