Inactive No applications open after running TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calln

Hello

On step 3 of your instructions, and after running TFC, I rebooted as instructed, and now no applications on my pc will open, no IE, no outlook, no nothing......

thanks in advance

TFC doesn't nothing that would prevent you from opening programs.

Please tell me why you are running these steps in the first place?

Im running these steps as my work pc is infected with the azureon virus (rootkit),

I ran msn's malicious software removal tool, which partially removed it, then Avast also successfully removed some files, but it said to run a reboot scan, it couldnt remove what was left at this stage, .....so thats where im up to....step 3, I ran TFC, and now can do nothing.....from my desktop.

many thanks

well, as I said, no applications will open, so I think that might be difficult,
Ill get back on Monday as to the status of my pc....

Thank you.

Okay. TFC should not have caused the problem however as it only removed temporary internet files.

I'm not real sure about how this went though:
1. "I ran TFC, and now can do nothing.....from my desktop."
2. "well, as I said, no applications will open"
Actually this wasn't what you said: 'do nothing? from my desktop?

What about All Programs, or Windows Explorer, etc.
no applications on my pc will open, no IE, no outlook, no nothing....

If you're trying to open or launch from a shortcut on the desktop, the shortcut could have been corrupted. Opening the program or app from the .exe file would not only allow you to open but also create a new shortcut.

I believe what you're referring to is the Virus:Win32/Alureon.A
Symptoms
There are no common symptoms associated with this threat. Alert notifications from installed antivirus software may be the only symptom(s).
When the infecting trojan is run, it infects a system driver, usually 'atapi.sys'. It has also been observed to infect 'iastor.sys' but other system drivers may also be targeted.
Hides files and disk sectors
The system driver detected as Virus:Win32/Alureon.A is infected by the addition of code, whose function is to load a part of the Alureon rootkit. The Alureon rootkit is a component that gives Alureon the ability to avoid detection; it is created by the same Alureon trojan that infects the system driver.

The rootkit loaded by Virus:Win32/Alureon.A has the ability to avoid behavior blockers, which allows it to perform its malicious routines uninterrupted. It can also hide files and disk sectors
Source: Microsoft.

There are several things we do for this

Hi

need help really quickly if you can
I had said in my original post, that no applications will open...

rebooted pc several times and it gets to the user account screen, I can enter my password, then go no further, the pc is unresponsive....

ok, now have managed to get my desktop...however, all applications un-responsive....will not open from the desktop, or start - all programs, task manager also will not open.....

ok....as its my work pc, I could not hang around for an answer so I went ahead and performed a system restore to the day before this happened..last wednesday, ....on restart the pc froze at the welcome screen after entering my password......took a long time to exit this state and then my desktop opened, but showed nothing for a long time......
it allowed me to start task manager tho, so I did this and then re-started...

desktop opened almost immediately after entering password....but problem still exists after the system restore....pc has frozen and no applications will open.....frozen state......

ok, so performed another sysytem restore to before i installed and ran AVAST and msn malicious software removal tool....
system restore was succesful and I can now open and run applications and access the internet as normal.....(BIG PHEW!)

have not run AVG yet....awaiting further instruction........

Sorry- didn't give out 'any' quick help today!

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back