No audio coming through my HDTV

JamesPromIII

Ok I have a Samsung 32" HDTV and I have a DVI to HDMI cord hooked up to it. My problem is i'm getting no sound thru my tv, when I click on my sound tab on my system tray the green bar is moving up and down like sound is playing but nothing is coming out. BTW I have a Nvidia GTX 460 so i'm sure it's capable of sound thru the DVI to HDMI cord. Any ideas?

I looked up this evga gtx 460 based on your system specs pulldown and it has an hdmi out. If thats your card just use hdmi.

Don't buy a $30+ cable for it though unless you just have a lot of money.

Why was I able to get sound thru the DVI to HDMI cable before?

Were you using mini-HDMI to HDMI cable?? and not DVI to HDMI? I believe that card has 1 mini-HDMI port and 2-DVI. You'd need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to your TV

You can also check the nVidia spec yourself

Under Specs
Code:
Standard Display Connectors	Two Dual Link DVI
Mini HDMI

Under Features, you see only video via DVI, audio only listed for HDMI
Code:
[B]Dual-link DVI Support[/B]
Able to drive industry’s largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560x1600 and with support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
[B]HDMI 1.4a Support*****[/B]
Fully integrated support for HDMI 1.4a including GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D4 support, xvYCC, deep color, and 7.1 digital surround sound including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Upgrade your GPU to full 3D capability with NVIDIA 3DTV Play software, enabling 3D gaming, picture viewing and 3D web video streaming. See www.nvidia.com/3dtv for more details.

Ok I have the mini-hdmi to hdmi cord plugged into my tv but i'm still not getting any sound, what could be the problem?

Try looking in Control Panel->Sound looking for playback devices or something like that and select a different device if you have a choice. By coincidence I have your same motherboard as you have (listed in your specs) but I have a different one connected to my hdtv. On my htpc I didn't get sound thru the hdtv speakers until I downloaded a driver from the video card's (in your case nvidia's) website.

tony beat me to the punch :)

You might still have your onboard sound card enabled. The "green sound bars" you're seeing may reflect your onboard sound. Look in CtlPnl->Sound under Audio and check if your gtx sound card is selected as the default device. (here's an example of a PC with two sound cards enabled)
defaultplayback.jpg

Back