No audio coming through my HDTV

By JamesPromIII
Dec 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ok I have a Samsung 32" HDTV and I have a DVI to HDMI cord hooked up to it. My problem is i'm getting no sound thru my tv, when I click on my sound tab on my system tray the green bar is moving up and down like sound is playing but nothing is coming out. BTW I have a Nvidia GTX 460 so i'm sure it's capable of sound thru the DVI to HDMI cord. Any ideas?
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

DVI only carries video, not audio. HDMI carries both video and audio. You can't use DVI for sound
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,438   +282

I looked up this evga gtx 460 based on your system specs pulldown and it has an hdmi out. If thats your card just use hdmi.

Don't buy a $30+ cable for it though unless you just have a lot of money.
  4. JamesPromIII

JamesPromIII Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 157

Why was I able to get sound thru the DVI to HDMI cable before?
  5. LookinAround

Were you using mini-HDMI to HDMI cable?? and not DVI to HDMI? I believe that card has 1 mini-HDMI port and 2-DVI. You'd need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to your TV

You can also check the nVidia spec yourself

Under Specs
    Code:
    Standard Display Connectors	Two Dual Link DVI
    Mini HDMI 
    Under Features, you see only video via DVI, audio only listed for HDMI
    Code:
    [B]Dual-link DVI Support[/B]
    Able to drive industry’s largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560x1600 and with support for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
    [B]HDMI 1.4a Support*****[/B]
    Fully integrated support for HDMI 1.4a including GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D4 support, xvYCC, deep color, and 7.1 digital surround sound including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Upgrade your GPU to full 3D capability with NVIDIA 3DTV Play software, enabling 3D gaming, picture viewing and 3D web video streaming. See www.nvidia.com/3dtv for more details.
  6. JamesPromIII

JamesPromIII Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 157

Ok I have the mini-hdmi to hdmi cord plugged into my tv but i'm still not getting any sound, what could be the problem?
  7. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 822   +19

Try looking in Control Panel->Sound looking for playback devices or something like that and select a different device if you have a choice. By coincidence I have your same motherboard as you have (listed in your specs) but I have a different one connected to my hdtv. On my htpc I didn't get sound thru the hdtv speakers until I downloaded a driver from the video card's (in your case nvidia's) website.
  8. LookinAround

tony beat me to the punch :)

You might still have your onboard sound card enabled. The "green sound bars" you're seeing may reflect your onboard sound. Look in CtlPnl->Sound under Audio and check if your gtx sound card is selected as the default device. (here's an example of a PC with two sound cards enabled)
    [​IMG]

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.