No audio device

YST

After days of not resolving a BSOD issue, I decided to reinstall windows XP and now it works fine. However! I have no sound (because I uninstalled a whole bunch of drivers trying to fix the BSOD issue).

I was using Sound Blaster Live, but for some reason it refused to work after I tried reinstalling the drivers. So I uninstalled the drivers to see if my on board sound would work. But no, it says "No Audio Device" in "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" and the settings under the volume tab are unclickable.

Has anyone encountered the same problem or know how to resolve the issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

First try Windows Update and look under the "optional" updates for your device.

Update doesn't work. To add more info, when go in Device Manager and scroll down to Sound, video and game controllers and right click, properties on each Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers etc, the 'Device usage' under the 'General' tab is blanked out with nothing selected. Does that seem right?

Are you certain the onboard audio is enabled? You can check (and change) that in the BIOS.
Second to that, I would really remove the Sound Blaster from the computer if you can, not just uninstall the drivers. That is the best guarantee that there is no conflict.

Other than that, it is really about having the right drivers installed.

Back