"No Audio Device"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well heres the deal. I am not sure why, but after along time of working, my audio stopped. My girlfriend was playing a SNES emulator and the computer overheated and shut off. I thought nothing of it, since it is a common thing. Come back a week later and find that Winamp, Windows startup, and VLC or other media devices were not working. However I did get the sounds from AIM and the windows error sounds and all that fun stuff. After just restarting it a number of times, it all worked. Mysteriously. Then I turn it off for another week, come back to it. And none of it works.

I updated my sound card driver ( even though it is out of date since 2002) and there is only one conflicting device which is the game port. I dont know what that is, nor do I care really. I got winamp to work, but thats It. I just changed the output device to the sound card instead of windows default device. Which there in lies the problem. The default device. Upon going to sound and audio it says that I have no Audio device. Everything is grayed out. Cant click anything at all. I did the whole starting the stopped Windows audio device in the Administrive Services. But that did nothing. It turned itself off and then i turned it back on still nothing. I also set it to turn on 1 minute after an error. To try to keep it on. I did the windows trouble shooter. Checked numerous threads on numerous boards. Found nothing. None of the solutions I found help me.

Does anyone else have any more ideas?

If it matters at all I have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128D (WMD)

I want to listen to my movies! :(

Sound like you will need to troubleshoot your heat management issues first.

2. Soundblaster - Windows XP should reconize by it owns.

3. Gotta love SNES emulator with a xbox 360 controller.

Your card is probably screwed. Confirm by running it another PC if you can. If it is, get a nice, cheap one like the Audigy SE.

How could the card be screwed if I can still get perfect sounding audio off of it when I changed the output method to my sound blaster card. I just cant hear anything other than basic windows sounds and that winamp. Primarily, the only thing i care about is my VLC

Obsidian218 said:
How could the card be screwed if I can still get perfect sounding audio off of it when I changed the output method to my sound blaster card. I just cant hear anything other than basic windows sounds and that winamp. Primarily, the only thing i care about is my VLC

It happens with my dad's SB Live 5.1 PCI

Plug in and bam, lost my A8N-SLI, P4S533 and HP Vectra VL6 computer.

Just buy the new Audigy SE, it cost you around 45 to 70 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back