No Audio Devices are Installed

By ctchamp
Dec 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I know this topic has been brought up a number of times before however I have still been unable to correct this issue with previous troubleshooting.

The History-Suspected power surge, replaced hard drive, motherboard, and power supply. Reinstalled Windows, Vista 32-bit.

Since this happened I am informed via control panel that No Audio Devices are Installed. My speaker icon in the task bar has the dreaded red X over it.

I have two different sets of speakers I have tried. Both sets of speakers work on another computer. In device manager I have attempted to update drivers, uninstall and reinstall, disable and re-enable, to no avail.

I have set BIOS to default as per previous threads on this subject.

I am happy to provide any further information sought, I am not terribly technical but can follow instructions like a pro. Thank you.
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Does your new motherboard have on board audio or are you using a sound card?
  3. Dhakos

Dhakos TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 109

Different sets of speakers won't make a difference so dont worry about that, however you say that you've tried uninstalling reinstalling disabling etc are you referring to your sound card in device manager?
    If so I would suggest maybe trying another sound card if you have one? but before you do anything else, I would "scan for hardware changes" sometimes my older computer has a habit of "losing" hardware somehow haha, everynow and then, the disk drive for example, will stop existing, so a simple rescan of hardware makes it show up, installs itself and all is well.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.