No audio devices installed

Hello guys, this is a problem I've been dealing with for quite some time, though I never really tried to solve it until a while ago. The main problem is this: (I wanted to post a pic of the icon but I couldnt due to lack of posts, its the speaker icon with the white cross on the red background)

icon showing up, when I right click it and go to 'volume mixer' it tells me there are 'no audio devices installed'. I've tried multiple things to solve the problem, I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them (didnt work), I 'removed' my (onboard) sound card with device manager and plugged in an usb sound card to see if that would solve the problem (didnt work). I went to device manager, 'removed' the onboard sound card then had device manager look for uninstalled hardware, it reinstalled the onboard sound card but didnt change the 'no audio devices installed' thing. Is there something left I can try to do? I'd appreciate any bit of help I can get!

PS: Im using a Windows Vista, if there are any specs you need to know about, just ask. Btw, when I look in device manager or control panel --> Sound, there is never a problem stated. I dont use speakers and usually have headphones plugged in. Also, when I start a game like Skyrim, it quits and tells me Skyrim needs a sound card in order to run, even though there's definately one onboard (not working though).

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Back