No audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyl1125

i plugged speakers into computer was working fine shut off pc when i turned it back on i had no sound no volume icon in taskbar tried everything and i still have no sound i have a ibm thinkcentre with windows xp i have gone to device manager and it says i have no audio installed

OH! Now i see you DO have your own thread! I just posted for you in other thread. But please reply back here to this thread!

sorry about that new to this anyway i tried msinfo32 said windows cannot find then i tried the other one u suggested and it said no sound card found if one is expected install sound driver provided by manufacturer but dont know how to do that if there is no sound card where did it go the sound was working fine please help

OK. fyi.. that "No sound card" display message on user display appears if ANY type of sound card problem (e.g. sofrware or hardware). But the dxdiag file you attached indicates your computer is not detecting any physical sound card hardware.

You should look in your BIOS and look for an entry of sound (might say onboard audio) and check the BIOS options. Make sure it says Enabled or Automatic or something like that

I don't think system restore will help. Windows isn't seeing the hardware meaning is likely

> turned off in BIOS or
> hardware failure

/* edit */
but no harm in trying it if you want

i just checked bios it was disabled but i still have no audio i enabled still no audio did u mean audio setup to enable i tried system restore yesterday nop luck

Now that it's enabled repeat the Problem Device Report test and give me result. Also create a new dxdiag. If i can't look at it further tonight.. I won't likely reply till sometime tomorrow evening

No sound hardware detected again. Look in your BIOS again. Does it keep disabling itself??

If yes, it might be hardware failure. Anyway try enabling audio again in BIOS and see if it stays enabled or keeps setting back to Disabled.

I'll check back again sometime late tomorrow

yeah it was still enabled dont know what the problem is was working fine till i shut off pc then i had no volume icon in taskbar and no volume at all it dont make any sense i hope to talk tommorrow evening and maybe we can fix this thanks

Do the following in the following order

1. Set Device Manager to display both Non-Present and Hidden Devices
See here for instructions
> Does the Sound Card driver appear now in Device Manger?
> If yes, look at its icon
===> Is it a "ghost" device (does it appear with a semi-transparent icon? see example below)
===> Or does it appear with a solid icon?
===> Or does it appear at all??
> Do you see an Other devices category in Device Manager?

attachment.php

2. Try toggling BIOS onboard audio setting to see it makes any difference

> Set onboard audio back to = Disable and boot up. Then shutown, Enable it again and boot up
> Now check for any Hidden and Non-Present Devices again
> See Sound Driver as a ghost or a present device? Any Other devices appear?

Attachments

• Ghost and Other Devices.JPG
    Ghost and Other Devices.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 17
well did everything u said dtill nothing when i went to device manager and show hidden icons the attatchment u sent me mine looks like that but but microsoft system audio device was not ghost nor was micro winmmwdm audio compatibility driver and it showed no soundmax digital high def audio at all does not show up but it is installed now what

Unfortunately, if it's enabled in BIOS it should be showing up:
> either under Sound in DevMgr as a ghost device (if the sound driver is loaded but card not detected) OR
> Under Other Devices in DevMgr (if card detected but NO sound driver loaded so Windows doesn't know what this device is. It calls it "Other")

So if showing up in BIOS enabled, i'm thinking is probably hardware failure :dead: :(

1) If need be i've seen some cheap USB sound cards for sale..
2) Only other possibility (though a long shot - but doesn't hurt to try).. disconnect/remove all unessential hardware devices (e.g. external disks, CD, etc) and try rebooting again to see if it might detected

Odds are hardware problem tho i think :(

To get info about possible sound card options, i'd advise posting a new thread to solicit input/advice from others on the forum

Just to give you an idea of "simple" USB sound cards (just plug 'em into a USB port) google USB sound card. (I'm a "geek" but not an "audiophile" ;) so best to get advice from others re: specific recommendations to meet your needs and budget)

G;luck. Hope you can get a new card and get your sound back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back