No BITS, Can't Update

jephph

Hey guys. I was working on a computer.. had to format and re-install Windows XP. I got most Windows Updates installed, but there are still a handful that won't install. I found out that it was probably because the BITS service wasn't running. I went to turn it on, and it wasn't even there. I tried to run sfc /scannow. It ran, but when it was finished, it just disappeared and didn't produce a log. Is there another way to install BITS?

Clarify... So when you click CtlPnl->Admin Tools, then click Services and scroll down. Do you not see the name Background Intelligent Transfer Service?

Verify if these two files exist
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgrprxy.dll and C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll

/* EDIT */
Corrected the name of the 2nd file

DUH <= me

My bad. :eek: Sorry. Also check this file C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll

(I'll correct my earlier post)

Open a command prompt window. In the command prompt window type the following. If BITS still doesn't appear and start, you'll need a registry patch. Will have to find it and post back tomorrow
Code:
sc create BITS binpath= “c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs” start= delayed-auto

/* EDIT */
You can copy/paste that command into the window if Quick Edit is enabled for the command window (use right click to paste into the command window)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282301

/* EDIT 2 */
Did it again! Duh. It should be a right click to paste into command window. I think is time for bed. Will follow up tomorrow

Got BITS on the list using: [FONT=Verdana]WinXP_BITS_Fix_v1.6.zip[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] (Version 1.6)[/FONT]
Still, when I try to update, it immediately goes to "installing blah blah... failed" as if they've already been downloaded, and it's just going through the routine of telling me they've failed again. Do I need to reset Windows Updates somehow? Or, it could be this: I tried starting BITS, and it gave me this message: "Could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service on Local Computer. Error 1290: 0x50a"

We have two challenges, 1) getting BITS defined as a service (so it appears on the services list) and 2) getting the thing running

Let me know if/'when it starts showing up as a service.

I found this MS fixit for common Windows Update problems. Try it next
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

I had tried the MS fixit tool before.
Here are the steps I went through this time though:
1. Ran that WinXP BITS fix tool and restarted Afterward, BITS showed up in services list, but wouldn't start.
2. Ran the MS fixit tool. It said it fixed a couple of things. Restarted, and BITS was no longer in the services list.
3. Ran the MS fixit tool again. It came up with a couple more fixes, but still, BITS was no longer listed.
4. Ran WinXP BITS fix tool again and restarted. This time, BITS showed up in the services list (as just BITS, whereas before it was Background Intelligent Transfer Service), and was already started.
Now, I can run the updates. So far anyway. I've installed one just fine. I'll see how the rest go.

Update:
All "High Priority" updates installed just fine, and BITS is still running. It looks like a weird mix of that WinXP BITS fix tool and MS fixit tool was the solution. Thank you for your help!

I just want to add (since this was the first helpful link I found on my google search) that I had the same problem and was able to fix it by doing steps 3 and 4 of Method 1 on this page, then running the WinXP BITS fix tool and restarting.

I am having same issues and svchost running at the 100% mark. I was curious if you also had this same issue? And is the WinXP Bits fix tool run from the MS Mr. Fix it? I googled the WinXP Bits fix tool but found from other bloggers but not quite that same name of Microsoft. Since you have your resolved your issue, please direct me to the correct WinXP Bits fix tool. Thank you!

All of the tools I used are linked to in this thread. Jephph linked to the WinXP BITS fix (post #10), and LookinAround linked to the MS Fixit tool (post #11).

Back