No boot after CPU upgrade

Hey guys bear with me, i have a p4v8000x motherboard and was working fine, just upgraded to a p4 3.0gh 1m 800fsb speed and it wont start up, iv tried taking the battery out and resetting bios but still nothing. All i get is green power light and red cpu light on constant? Help!!!

You do realize that any help you get comes from unpaid volunteers that may or may not happen to see your post immediately, particularly over a holiday period. Sometimes you might not get a response for 24 hours. Your sarcasm coming only after one hour is unwarranted.

You do realize that any help you get comes from unpaid volunteers that may or may not happen to see your post immediately, particularly over a holiday period. Sometimes you might not get a response for 24 hours. Your sarcasm coming only after one hour is unwarranted.

My bad, was just frustrating at the time, subsequently i think the board is goosed as it wont do anything now with either cpu fitted?

Maybe the new CPU isn't compatible with that motherboard or if it is, it needs a BIOS update to recognize it. I had trouble locating the motherboard manual so I can't be more specific.

That said, it is possible that you could have damaged the board, maybe by static electricity.

Maybe the new CPU isn't compatible with that motherboard or if it is, it needs a BIOS update to recognize it. I had trouble locating the motherboard manual so I can't be more specific.

That said, it is possible that you could have damaged the board, maybe by static electricity.

The board is a p4v800D-x, i was using a p4 2.4 gh, shut the system down took all static precautions and then fitted the new p4 3.0gh 1m 800fsb speed cpu and nothing. Checked up and should be compatible but does nothing even with old chip?

Check all the power and data connections inside. One or more of them could have been loosened accidentally when you were working on the CPU and heatsink/fan. Just checking but did you clean off the old thermal compound on the CPU and apply fresh compound?

You can also try to see if the PC will post by removing all but the essential parts. Leave only the PSU, CPU and heatsink/fan, one RAM module, graphics card and front panel connectors attached. If the PC posts, then you can start adding back parts one at a time to see if any prove to be faulty. Start with the hard drive.

BTW, it's not necessary to quote my entire post when you answer. :)

Then you are left to swap out parts with known good ones to test with. Swap items one at a time, PSU, graphics card and RAM. If that doesn't help, then probably the motherboard is faulty. I didn't suggest swapping the CPU since I doubt you have a spare but if I'm wrong about that, then you can try swapping it too.

Do you have access to these parts to test with?

That board will be quite a few years old by now.
Are there any capacitors bulging or leaking on the board?

Back