Not open for further replies.

treetops

Windows Xp
Mobo msi Express Chipset p965 Ms-7235 ver: 1.1
Cpu Intel core 2 duo 2.4
2 gig ddr2 ram
Nvidia 7600
Custom built machine

I can't remember all the specs offhand and I certainly cant run dxdiag, if there is anything else I need to include I will look it up in the manuals.

Problem, after cleaning out my brothers computer with antyspywares\virus I updated all his windows updates the following day up to sp3, restarted, then the comp made a beeping noise and displayed nothing on the monitor. I know its not even going into windows because his little screen on his keyboard shows nothing. I have the windows disc but when I put it in it didnt do anything. So my guess is maybe I can put a flash drive into the comp upon start up and perhaps reroll to where it was at yesterday before the sp3 installation. I have no clue if something like this can be done.

I tried unplugging the power to reset the video card resolution with no avail, I also attempted tapping f8 with no results. I tried putting in another computers hard drive and the same thing happens. With no hard drive in the computer the same thing happens. So could the windows update have affected the mobo bios? I tried putting in a different monitor to see if that was causing the complete black screen and none of this caused any change.

I also took out the ram sticks and blew out all the dust with no affect. Tried a different video card, reseated ram, reseated video card. Took out each individual ram stick and swapped them around. No effect. I completely took out the video card no effect.

Did everything here
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=667161

Beep noises

beeeh(2seconds) beh(1\4 sceond) nuuh(3\4 second)

Not exact times

Try resetting the motherboards bios, or try another power supply

I did try another power supply and I took out the cmod battery in a attempt to reset the bios, is there another way? I also followed my mobo manual instructions on how to short out the the cmod thingy to reset the bios with no effect.

Its been suggested to me that it is the mobo itself, if anyone can think of anything else I can try before replacing the mobo im all ears. I have not bench tested btw. Another thing this computer did not have any thermal paste applied to it, but it had a fan pointing at the open case for 3 years.

"I have not bench tested btw. Another thing this computer did not have any thermal paste applied to it"...

I assure you that there is some form of thermal compound between the CPU's heatsink and the CPU die. The CPU would have burned up in a matter of minutes, unless the motherboard shut itself down first. Did you substitute the memory?

Yes, I found a new lead :). Ok I once again swapped between the 2 1 gig ram sticks and neither of them caused any change when removed or plugged in 1 at a time or swapped in positions, however when I took both of them out, this was the first time in over 50+ boots since this problem that I did not hear the beeping noise, I repeated and no beeping noise! But no image either, another thing, I once again took out the video card (pcie 7600 nvidea) and put in this computers video card (pci 6200), and the computer would not power on same as the first time, odd? I removed the other pci slot, which was a wireless internet thing, to see if the 2 combined were causing the power not to come on, no effect power would not turn on with the pci card installed and the pci-e out, I didnt try them both at once because well it just sounds like a bad idea.

Could it be possible that both sticks burnt out at once? I have another ddr2 stick somewhere it will take me awhile to find it.

My motherboard is supposed to beep when there is no ram, im thinking its a bad mobo. I didn't see any burn marks. I guess my brother must have applied thermal paste after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back