TechSpot

"No Boot Sector" after just reinstalled windows recently

By dnns
Jul 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the third time I got the same blue screen, and the next thing I know is that my dell inspiron 6000 can not boot anymore. It tells me that "no boot sector on internal hard drive".

After the last incident (which was a night ago), I reformatted (complete reformat, not the quick format) my harddrive. I also created 3 partitions (Drives C, D and E). I reinstall windows XP. I regularly backup my data so that complete reinstallation is not an issue. Now, just a night after I reinstalled everything. The blue screen shows up again and the next thing is "no boot sector on internal hard drive"

I tried to repair and type in chkdsk /f, fixmbr, fixboot. Those commands do not work. When I used my reinstallation CD (I did not actually install the windows) and went to a point I can see my harddrive, I realize all my drives C, D and E are gone. All I see is one big harddrive, needing to be formatted again.

Previously, I created a boot cd. I used that. After I went in, I cannot detect any of my drives C, D and E. I ran an extended dell diagnostic test and it found not problem with my harddrive.

I know if I reinstall the windows, it will work for a while. I had the same problem 1&1/2 years ago, I completely reinstalled my windows at that time. It lasted 1&1/2 years. This time, after reinstallation, it only lasted one night.

Any idea? Is this still possible a virus problem? Or my harddrive is bad?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,848   +165

It is time for you to get another hard drive or two. I would advise instead of spliting up a single hard drive into 3 sections, use another drive for backing up important stuff. If that mutiple partitioned hard drive fails, like yours has, you loose everything
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.