No "Boot using USB" on old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

husamn

laptop doesn't have this "boot using usb" thing.
is there a way to enable this if it's possible to install windows os on an external hd?

please I need help.

Because Ubuntu Live CDs which have an excellent bootable Operating System on them, already exist.

And for you to create a boot CD (with Dos USB drivers) will be difficult

nah I want a Windows OS.

"you will need another boot device (like floppy or CD) to load the USB Dos drivers to then allow the USB drive to start"

where can I get the USB Dos drivers?

where can I get the USB Dos drivers?
Huh!
My point exactly

To locate the exact Dos USB drivers for your External HardDrive and then to create a bootable floppy (what revision of command.com is anyone's guess) and then add the driver files to config.sys then create an autoexec.bat file to actually run Windows Xp externally, I'd say is nearly impossible

Good luck!

I replied to a thread yesterday about that (Windows on external HDD) here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=662950

But if you don't have USB boot in Bios, then you will need another boot device (like floppy or CD) to load the USB Dos drivers to then allow the USB drive to start

I don't think it's worth it

I am supporting you !

And I use to do Dos drivers on Boot CDs all the time
After, I'd say 100 Boot CDs I've made, I'm telling you (from tens of years of computer support) that it is too difficult, without USB boot support in your BIOS

you're saying "it is too difficult" so it means it's possible.

just tell me that you don't know how to do it...that's all.

i'm sure there are others out there who know and can help.

anyone one else please?

This is the file I used: http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.02.09-USBASPI-MS-DOS-Driver/
I had to check if there was an update, and there isn't it seems

I used the same "Usbaspi.sys" years ago. To load USB drivers (that I had to source) for Old HardDrives connected via USB

Mind you, I never made Windows Xp boot on External USB, because I thought it already boots on IDE or Sata (internally) and I once had Windows Xp on CD being a bootable working version (not a Setup version) and it faulted on different Hardwares, and was basically tiny compared to what PE enviroment (like BartPE) and Linux could do.

You just need the Dos USB Boot files to go with it (and a lot of luck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back