TechSpot

No Display, 2 post beeps...

By cabrone
Aug 17, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I came home today to find my computer frozen, dont know why, but i restarted the comp. When i booted it up nothing showed on the screen, it was blank, and there were 2 post beeps. I checked to see if it was the agp slot that was broken by puttin a different card in, but it wasnt, the card worked. So i put my original card back in Geforce 2 MX400 AGP, and it didnt work, i fooled around with it for 30 minutes or so, and nothing seems to be working, did i ruin this card? i sure hope not
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

you didn't ruin the card.

components die. its happens..... you are lucky it was not your CPU or mobo....

I am actually happy for you it was not your mobo.....

remove it like a cancerous cell and replace it!
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Ok fair enough.... you smug git ;)
  5. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Cabrone is over at my house so i'm posting for both of us.

He put a video card in there from his brother's computer and the video worked. Maybe the card really is broken? :confused: He hasn't tried putting that card in another computer so we'll try that later. Thanks!
  6. cabrone

cabrone TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 166

i did reseat the memory tonight, that didnt work. Like phat said the card that was in my bros computer did work on mine, so i think this card is shot. I guess its a good reason to upgrade? i did purchase a geforce 4 mx 400 for 89 dollars with 10 games off ebay, brand new. But i would like to get this card in working condition so i have a comp to use while i wait.

so its not the memory, any other ideas? or is it just shot, i find it hard to believe it is shot, i guess ill take it to phats house to try it out...
  7. cabrone

cabrone TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 166

oh yeah i was looking over the beep code list a second ago and my beep sequence is like this :
    1 long & 2 short Video error Check the video card.

so it is the video problem, what do i check i made sure its plugged in snugly, and also tried half way, 3/4 in, and all sorts of combos.
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Well usually there's not much you can do but get another gfx card. I don't think changing AGP voltages & speeds would help but of course feel free to try (change when working card is plugged in).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.