No display after installing new video card (PowerCooler HD4850)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuabert

So I recently updated my motherboard and CPU (I'm now running an Intel Core2Duo). It boots up fine running Windows XP Home SP3. The problem is I have a PowerCooler HD4850 graphics card that I want to install (currently just running onboard video) but it's not working.
I plugged in the card and then when I try to boot I get no display on the monitor, just a flashing green light. However, windows is booting because I can hear the startup jingle, I just can't see anything. I tried unplugging the card and then everything works fine, so I uninstalled the INTEL graphics drivers from "add or remove programs". Then I tried to reinstall the card and boot up but it does the same thing, no display on the monitor.
I've heard power supply issues can cause graphics card troubles, but my PSU is only about a year old. The guy at the store said you need a 350Watt or greater PSU to run this card, but I don't know how to tell if mine is. Here is some other info: the fan on my graphics card is spinning when I have it plugged in, so there is some power going to it. Also here is what it reads on the side of my PSU in case it helps you:

CoolerMaster
Product No: RS-460-PCAR-A3
Atx 12V V2.3 W/O PFC
AC Input: 115/230V ~ 10/6A 60/50Hz
DV Output: +3.3V | +5V | +12V1 | +12V2 | -12V | +5VSB
22A | 25A | 18A | 18A | 0.5A | 2.5A
Max Power: 165W | 312W | 6W | 12.5W

The +3.3V & +5V & +12V1 & +12V2 combine power shall not exceed 401.5W

Any help would be great!

Does your motherboard support PCI-e 2.0 or 1.0?

If its 1.0 then you wont be able to run the HD4850 unless you change mobo.

If it is 2.0, Try blowing compressed air in the PCI-e slot then install the video card.

And imo your PSU is ok.

Jawshh, pcie v2.0 is backward compatible with v1.0, so any pcie v2.0 will work in a v1.0 slot

Ritwik: I checked my BIOS a bit to see if there was something I could change, but I didn't really know what I was doing, so I didn't change anything.

Jawsh & red: I don't know how to tell that, but both of these hardware pieces (mobo and vidcard) are quite new models.

Hmm...I've cleaned it fairly recently and a lot of the parts are new, so I don't think that is the problem.

I don't know if it's a conflict with the old drivers or something, but when I uninstall the old drivers (for the onboard video) and boot I either get (1 - without the vid card installed) a found new hardware VGA alert or (2 - no display at all).

OH! Does it matter where the monitor is plugged in to? I never thought of plugging the monitor into the video card itself; I've just had it plugged into the motherboard. I'll try installing the card and plugging the monitor into the card.

lol yeah umm it has to be plugged into the card thats why there are monitor connectors on the card lol

so you mean all this time you were trying to use the video card without the monitor!?? :D lol

its no biggie you wouldnt believe how many people forget to plug the power cord into there video cards lol you just have to start somewhere man glad you figured out the problem.

I knew someone who built a new pc with a motherboard without on board video. He then proceeded to scratch his head in bewilderment of where to plug the monitor in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back