Asrock N68PV-GS
AMD Athlon 64 x2
NVidia Gefore 9400GT Inno 3D 1GB 128-bit
160GB Sata
Power Supply : 500watts
DVD-RW
Edimax Lancard

the story of my pc:
i bought it more than a year ago. it works fine for the whole year. my graphics card was 8400GT back then but i upgraded it. and it worked fine. then one day, my internet connection was not working. i was using the on-board ethernet/lan port that time. i checked the back of the case and noticed that only the orange light (in the ethernet / lan port) is on. i checked the lan drivers and i found nothing. i tried reinstalling it, then it asks for reboot but no luck. i ask my friend about it (my friend was an owner of an internet shop) and he said buying a lan card would fix the problem and it doesn't cost much too. i bought an edimax lan card, it supports plug and play so there was no problem.
then, after a few days, my PC froze! i had to press the restart button coz nothing works, the mouse doesn't move, control-alt-delete isnt working and even the numlock indicator wont turn off (when pressing numlock key of course). i tried "System Restore" even if i didnt installed / downloaded anything for weeks but no luck. i formatted it and installed a fresh copy of XP OS but it even freezes in set-up. i tried and tried until such time it finished the set-up without freezing (after about 3 times). after the set up and reaching the desktop, it froze again. that puts a "virus issue" out of this problem coz a fresh copy of windows XP OS (service pack 2) is installed.
i tried removing the lan card and graphics card, leaving me to use the on-board graphics but still the same. it sometimes freezes even before windows start up. it freezes after displaying the logo of Asrock (my mobo), and even when i am in BIOS set-up.
i tried searching Google for answers. i found out that it can be my PSU dying. i tried a PSU from other computer but still the same. i tried putting my PSU on other computer and it works fine.
i guess software issue, virus issue, hard disk issue (coz there's no BSOD), PSU issue, Graphics Card Issue And Lan Card Issue is out of this. thats is what i have in mind today.

please ask any questions needed and i will answer them as soon as i can.
advanced thank you to all of you guys.

Try booting with minimum hardware attached, e.g. one stick of RAM, no HDD or other optical drives etc., if you get the display then you start adding stuff one by one. That should be more helpful in isolating the issue.

I Tried Booting With The RAM, HDD, And Of Course The Mobo, PSU and nothing else. I Still Get The Same Result. It Freezes In Start-up And sometimes doesnt display anything then shuts down T_T
Thanks For The Reply (^ ^,)

i forgot to say that i only have 1 stick of DDR II... Its 2GB

Okay, I assume you also had your hdd disconnected at that time?

If it didn't worked out, then there is strong possibility that there is something up with motherboard or PSU, or CPU may be not be seated properly. I've seen a case where the CPU had some 'carbon' on it (perhaps due to some spike or something), hence the when the system was turned on, lights would come up and after few seconds it will automatically got turned off. So perhaps, give a 'thorough' cleaning to your board/cpu as well and see whether that helps.

hmm.. ill try that tomorrow.. but im sure its clean from dust.. coz i was using it and suddenly it just froze.
i really appreciate your replies sir. thank you very much.
ill try to remove the CPU tomorrow. its 6:25 pm here and i cant do those stuff at the moment.. ill do it 1st thing in the morning ^_^

After Checking Everything, Cleaning The Heat Sink Then Removed The Processor, It Was Totally Clean. After Putting Everything Back To Their Proper Places, I Turned It On. After Displaying My RAM, It Froze! Then A Few Seconds After That, The Display Suddenly Disappeared Then Shut Itself Down. T_T
I dunno What To Do Anymore. Help Pleeeaaasseee~!!

The situation is bit complicated here because you only have one RAM module to go with, can you borrow a RAM stick from somewhere (it should be similar in specs) to further narrow down which component here may be at fault? I am tilting towards motherboard for now. Also pull out your graphic card and use onboard vga during troubleshooting issue.

If Ill use my ram on other computer and if it works, then there's no prob on the memory, right?
and yes sir, i use the onboard vga, i also didn't put in the lan card.
thank you again for the reply sir. (^ ^,)

Yes if it works alright on another system with stability in OS, it would mean the RAM is ok, and you are most welcome.

Back