No display - no monitor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly computer savvy, I wouldn't call myself an expert.

So I started having problems a while ago with my desktop. It would turn on for a brief period and shut down after a few minutes. I would turn the system back on and it would stay on for a little shorter period. I would do this several times, each time decreasing in the amount of time that the computer was actually on, until it would start and turn off almost right away.

I thought that it might be a power supply problem so I installed a new one and was met with the same problem. I didn't know what it might have been at that point and I was planning on upgrading the system in a few months anyway and figured this was the best time to do it if I was going to be getting my hands dirty. I know now that that wasn't the smartest of ideas.

After assembling the computer with the new parts it was still having the same problem, but it wouldn't load into Windows because I think I needed to fix some things in the BIOS. During the few minutes I had to work with the system, I changed something in the BIOS menus, but I can't remember what I did. Ever since then I can't get anything to display.

My brother's HDD went out on his computer so I thought I would try swapping each one out and putting in a Windows Boot disk to see if it would respond to one or the other, but I got nothing. Since I tried that, the system stays on for as long as I leave it sit, but the keyboard wont respond. It lights up when I first turn the computer on, but I can't Num lock it or anything. I tested the keyboard on another computer already.

Here's what I have right now, the items with an * before them were in the previous system configuration:

Intel Quad Core2 Q9450, LGA 775 2.66 GHz, 12MB L2 cache
DFI Motherboard P35 Series (No onboard video)
4 Gb Ram
*500Gb HDD
*100Gb HDD (Operating system)
*XFX Video Card (can't remember the specs off hand- its been a few years)

I have no idea what to do any more and feel like if I did do something I would mess it up more. Thanks for your help!

I've cleared the CMOS data by following the motherboards user's manual and am still having the same problem. The computer powers up for a second and shuts down. After it shuts down, it comes back on right away. This is the same thing it was doing before trying to reset the BIOS. I failed to mention that earlier.

Hi,

IThe computer powers up for a second and shuts down. After it shuts down, it comes back on right away. This is the same thing it was doing before trying to reset the BIOS. I failed to mention that earlier.

Once it comes back on is it on until you turn it off? Like, will it boot into Windows and let you play games and things?

Adrian

No. I still have no screen or system response. It will turn on and all but I get no response. The lights are on but nobodies home, you know?

Hi,

I assume you have a 24 pins PSU ? Sometimes the big connector for the mtb
as in 2 parts (20 pins + 4 pins) so it coul be used also on older 20 pin mtbs,
be sure its 24 pin connected. There's another 4 pin connector for CPU
power, double check to be sure its connected. You probably also have a 6 pin connector on the video card for aux. power, check this too...
Seems obvious but i've seen this happen before.

If all is ok, then i would try this: (maybe you've done it already)
Unplug every peripherial inside the case (HHD, DVD player, floppy, etc.) leaving only mtb + memory + cpu + pcie card, now start system. If you get video, you will be able to narrow your search to the peripherials. If not, remove the vid card and try again, you should get a beep code (generally 4 beeps) for "no video adapter"
(there's a speaker in that case, i hope?) If it beeps: bad vid card, if you dont get a code, then its down to MTB, CPU, memory...Possible bad CPU, take it off and check for bent pins, blow the socket with compressed air put it back with minimal compound just enough to guaranty best contact, to much could cause overheating...
If you can test the ram on another pc with memtest for at least 10 passes
(thanks, Route 44) i found bad ram on a system yesterday after 26 passes !
After slowly eliminating good components, you will inevitably find the culprit...

Hope this helps !
Regards,
Big Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back