No display on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey...

I built this computer about a year and a half ago, and around last december I started having problems with it... it started out as an occasional thing and then became permanent...

Basically, the computer boots, but there is no display. It does have the one BIOS beep, and the hard drive and all the fans spin and everything, but nothing comes up on the screen at all, not even the motherboard or BIOS stuff. At one point I got a beep code telling me to reseat the vid card, and I did so and the computer worked fine for about two weeks and then the same problem started occurring again.

I was dicking around with it the other day and took the CMOS battery out and out it back in after a while and got a display, and windows loaded and everything, but after I shut it down and turned it back on, I got no display again. I replaced the battery just to be sure, and it still does the same thing. Using the display I got using the battery trick, I backed up and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows, hoping it might be some driver thing, as I've had driver issues in the past, but it's still not working...

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 2x 4200+ 2.2ghz cpu
Rosewill 500W psu
2 gb Corsair RAM
250gb hdd
ATI x1900gt gpu
ASUS A8N5X motherboard (has no onboard video)

I figure it's a hardware problem, but I'm away at school so it's hard to test out another vid card or something without having to buy one. I've pretty much run out of ideas, and figured asking would be the next step in finding out what needs to be replaced... I also know it is not the monitor.
Thanks for any guidance >.<

A lot of these issues can be caused by excessive dust, and loose connections.
In some cases it can be faulting Hardware including CD Drives; PCI cards even PowerSupply (but it can really be any component)

I would suggest to remove all internal dust; and reconnect all internal connections.

In extreme hardware solving issues, users can Bench Test their computer (PC not laptop)

For further guidance on No Post (Power On Self Test) please refer to the No Post Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back