No display on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lataak

My friend had Toshiba laptop which runs Windows XP SP2. When I start it, it boots properly till displaying welcome screen and then the display disappears. Everything looks ok except there is no display. What could be the reason? Could it be virus or corrupted system file? I tried to use recovery console but still no display. It used to work properly previously. What do you think I should do?

Boot to Safe Mode and check that the graphics settings are set for something that monitor supports.

'When I start it, it boots properly till displaying welcome screen'

This would normally mean you see the bios post messages before Windows loads. Is this the case?

Yes. I see BIOS and then Windows starts loading. After displaying welcome screen, the display goes. The hard disk is running, the fan is rotating, etc, Everything looks to work properly except no display.

Then the VGA passthrough works and the graphics chip doesn't.

I would suspect the inverter but I don't know if that can fail and allow VGA passthrough.

Does that Toshiba have a key with a monitor picture on it - if so, press the Fn key and that key and see if you can switch oiutputs.

Now I see that it is not display problem. I tried to install new OS using recovery CD. But after finishing the installation and rebooting, it displays error message C0000221-unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll. Is it some sort of hardware problem? The recovery CD I used I am not sure if it came with this laptop or another one. What OS should I use if I can't find the recovery CD of the laptop?

lataak, I have no idea what disks you, or your friend, have.

Given your inexperience and not knowing what you've got, I suggest you go to a dealer and get them to install for you. Bring ALL the disks you have for that comp with you and make sure you get them listed on the work order and get them back. Also, get an estimate. Should be about $50. or less since the comp works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back