No display on startup

By AurnAlly
Nov 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. So finally collected together some cash to build a new system, and after putting together the entire rig I found the screen is not receiving any image or errors, and there is no sound coming from the PC speaker either.

I have tried putting it back to the basics, just Motherboard + 1 stick of ram + graphics card, and still no picture or error message.

PSU fan graphics card fans and all case fans work. even tried removing it from the case and starting it with a screw driver in-case it was a short in the case stopping me. I really have no idea what is wrong with it. will admit this is the first computer I have built from all the base components.

COOLER MASTER 700W eXtreme Power Plus SLI Silent 12CM Fan Newest ATX 12V V2.3 Dual +12V1

GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R X58 CORE i7 LGA1366, 3 channel DDR3 2100+, USB 3.0 & SATA3, 3 way Cross

COOLER MASTER CM690 II ADVANCED LIMITED STOCK MID TOWER Pure Black Superior Airflow Perfor

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor Socket 1366 ( 8MB L3 Cache)

OCZ Intel Extreme XMP 6G DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Triple Channel Kit (3 x 2GB) , CAS 8-8

Gigabyte N450OC-1GI GTS450 1G OVER Clocking Version
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,385   +205

Let's start with the PSU connections. is the graphics card PCI-E power connector plugged in? Is the 8 pin ATX 12V connector to the motherboard plugged in?

If so, can you substitute a known good graphics card? Do you have a good power supply to substitute?
  3. wereit

wereit Newcomer, in training

Also -

is there an on board vga output? If so, remove graphics card, and try on board. If the result is the same, chances are that the motherboard may require a cmos reset, or is faulty.

If the on board vga is ok, then it may be the graphics card.

Assuming of course that the screen is working ok - if no error message on screen at all, or no 'no signal input' message, check the monitor as a preliminary

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.