No drivers will download on my new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my WD drive died after 2 years So I bought a Sea gate drive that's "SATA". I have a Gateway gt5404 and I went to gateway.com and tried downloading all the sound drivers none of them work they all say "could not create "c:\cabs" aborting unzipping" or something like that. And i have windows xp. the computer came with vista though. Also i havn't registered xp yet i dont know if that would do anything. I would much appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks

When you say that your new drive is "SATA", what was the WD? Is the new drive installed with XP up and operating?

Also, you have me stumped as to what the sound drivers have to do with the HDD.

You may be trying to download and install Vista drivers, Gateway's website is only aware of the OEM specifications that you computer shipped with, not how it exists in it's current configuration.

i dont know what the western digital was. i didnt say the hdd had to do with the drivers not downloading im not a computer expert thats why im on the website. and yes the xp drive is up in running thats what im trying to download the drivers to.

".cab" files are OS files, just as a point of info.

My question about what type of drive the WD was goes to whether it was SATA, (small cable) or IDE, which is a cable similar to a Floppy disc cable, about 2 inches wide. Sometimes called a ribbon cable.

Your error message contained something about failure to "unzip", what utility are you using to open the "zip" archives.

the cables are the same but the wd when i took the drive out. i had to configure the drive to something else i forget wich but it was on raid for the WD i dont know what it uses to unzip. do i have to download something i that it already had something to unzip it with.

Hi ktizzle188

I think there's a few different issues going on here.

Like captaincranky, i too am a bit confused about the exact error message you get about the .cab files however i took a look at the Gateway site downloads for your computer (click here)

The sound drivers on the Gateway site only support Vista :( so that's your bigger issue

Yes. Some of the drivers say XP. But, specifically, all 3 sound drivers (which is what you're trying to install now) only say for Support: Vista

There's a chance i can find you XP drivers. But might not be able to... but i'd need some very specific info.. Please do the following (you'll see some very cryptic looking info. Please copy/paste per instructions below as i need to see all that cryptic looking info just as it appears)

• Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back