No icons appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansay

I know I posted a thread earlier but I'm desperate right now. I recently had a problem with my display freezing everything except for the mouse. I did a scan during Safe Mode and removed some medium level trojans. After recieving a message regarding a dll file that apparently doesn't exist, I did a repair install. I went through all the activation except for the final one. Whenever I try to log into my account the mouse is moveable but there are no icons or anything for that matter loading. I tried going to Safe Mode but I can't because my XP isn't "fully activated". HELP

I tried going to Safe Mode but I can't because my XP isn't "fully activated".
Safe mode, normally works, even if you haven't activated

In Normal mode, if you press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys on the keyboard do you see Task Manager?

If, Yes. Then click on File->Run->Explorer.exe->ok

Do the icons now show?

If, Yes. then download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Ok here's the thing, I'm not even at the part of the installation where you're supposed to set up accounts. It's just a black screen right now with the loading cursor

Oh, possible try Memtest for 7 Passes
Or confirm your Hard Drive is set for CS jumper (if it's ATA) and also in IDE0 on the Motherboard.

Then do another Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back