No image / pictures

Doctor Gallop

Hi,
I'm running Windows XP home Edition, everything was working fine until a few days ago I started having trouble with being able to see images on many, but not all, web sites.
I have attached an image of what shows in place of the photo's and images.
Does anyone have an idea as to what might be the problem?
Is there something I should update?
Thank you
.Untitled 2.jpg

It's an image placeholder- but it gives us no idea of why the image didn't display.

What did you do right before this problem began> Did you download, install, uninstall, update or make changes in the browser?

Where are the images located on the web pages? Are they on the main page itself? Or did they appear on either side-like a 'frame' of the main section.

Check the following:
Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced tab> Multimedia section> make sure the following lines are checked:
Play animations
Play sounds
Play videos
Show Pictures

If you made any changes click on Apply> OK
Reboot the computer.

Are there any other problems with the system. The image feature isn't going to just stop- but it's a matter of also finding what stopped the display.

Thanks Bobbye,
Images on either side of a web page show up fine...but not on the web page..{.image of page attached ].
And the problem is not on every web page. since I followed your instructions concerning the control panel...the problem is "less"...but still happens once in a while.
The computer system itself is old and weak in memory...but there has never been this type of problem.
I am always downloading game demos and uninstalling and stuff like that, so it is possible I did something like that before this problem began.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 5
I've ran into this problem in the past, mainly when I was a Windows XP user. The few times I ran into this it just made me scratch my head. I did figure a way through and or around this problem and that was turning on "compatibility mode" in Internet Explorer. Rather than typing out a long list of steps to go through to do this, I found a very nice Microsoft educational video on this very topic. The video is shot, maybe 2 minutes in length, but if you follow what it shows and said, you should be okay.

How to use compatibility mode with Internet Explorer 9
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-to-use-Compatibility-View-in-Internet-Explorer-9

Also I found some information pertaining to more compatibility mode stuff, it's direct from Microsoft.

Microsoft Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

I wish years ago I had a video to watch on how to handle image problems, but everything within all that I'm directing you, is pretty much what I did when white knuckling my way through it.

The attachment shows the same image placeholders. It's interesting that the settings I suggested made a difference.

You say:
"everything was working fine until a few days ago I started having trouble with being able to see images on many, but not all, web sites."

Since you have a timeline, see if there is a System restore point set fro right before the "few days ago." If there is, restore to that date. If this handles the problem, okay. If it does not, you should consider going through the Virus and Malware forum to see if malware could be the cause.

Two other things to check:
1. Enable java scripting in the browser
2. Make sure you have the most current version of Java> v7u5:
Please update Java: Java Updates . Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs as they are vulnerabilities for the system.

Be sure to check all download screens for any pre-check toolbars or BHO> if found, remove the check before the download..

Back