No input showing on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayton26

Hi.
I have tried reading through the forums to get an answer before trying to post my problem, but no luck.

My problem is, the monitor does not show any sign of life when I turn on my computer.
I have checked to make sure everything is securely plugged in and everything.

Some of the posts I have read have said to run in safe mode and download the drivers again, problem is, I can't even get it to go into safe mode. I do not get any signal from the video card.

I was originally running my computer with two geforce 7900 GT's, but took it down to one, I don't remember why, and now neither of them are working on either PCI-E slot.

Bump

Please can someone give any input or suggestions as to what might be causing it?
Should I buy a new video card? The mobo shot?

have you checked the cables inside your pc? I had this problem, opened up the case popped a cable back in which had come out and it worked.

Hi Slayton,
do you have another card you can try? other than your 7900's?
also remove the card and look for burned or discolored areas, or bulging capacitors

I'll check those things when I get off work today.

I haven't seen any cables unplugged that I can remember, just one of the power cords going to the 7900, but that isn't needed because I'm running on one now.

I'm pretty sure I've looked around and haven't seen any discoloration, but like I said, I'll check when I get home.

Ok.
Just got home.
Checked out everything. Don't see any discolored areas.
Nothing looks wrong with any of the capacitors, from what I can tell (No bulging or anything).

Only found one thing unplugged, but I don't see how that would be causing any of the problems.
It was an extra set of USB plug-ins, and the part unplugged from the mobo was the IEEE 1394 part.

Also, forgot to mention that I do not have an extra video card to try. I have another one, but It doesn't have a plug to power it, as the mobo seems to not power it like the video card is intended.

I will keep looking closely at everything and trying to search around for other solutions in the mean time.
If anyone has any other tests or suggestions, please feel free to post :]

I forgot one somewhat important detail(maybe).

This seemed to almost happen gradually.
Right now, the computer doesn't show anything, not even the start up.
Before, it would load, let me be on the computer for an almost random amount of time (anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe an hour max) and then go black saying that there was no input.

I have another one, but It doesn't have a plug to power it, as the mobo seems to not power it like the video card is intended.
As long as it is a PCI-E compatible card, you can try it. Lower powered cards do not need an external power source as it gets what it needs through the PCI-E slot.

As long as it is a PCI-E compatible card, you can try it. Lower powered cards do not need an external power source as it gets what it needs through the PCI-E slot.

See, I did try it though.
I powered it on and it said that there wasn't enough power going to it, and shut down immediately.

Any chance that your PSU is unable to provide the required power any longer? Have you tried either 7900 on another PC?

Hmm.. No.
I don't have any other computers with a PCI-e slot.

I'll try to take into Staples tomorrow and see if they can check on their computer tomorrow without charging me.
I kind of hope it's either just the PSU or video card.
Those would be an affordable fix >< lol.

I powered it on and it said that there wasn't enough power going to it, and shut down immediately.
I once got a message like that. I replaced the power supply and that fixed it.

I took it to Staples to see if they could hook it up to one of their setups, but they can't do that.

I'll try to see if anyone at work has one LOL ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back