No Internet access, despite connection

hellokitty[hk]

Hello everyone,

It seems I can't access the interweb from my Windows XPSP3. My internet connection is fine, works on my other computers connected to the network, and works if I boot into linux. I can play multiplayer games just fine ect...google talk lets me chat with people and alerts me to emails; also, if I right click the google chat icon and click inbox, it actually takes my to my inbox and I can email people. Gmail does NOT work if I try to access by typing in the URL, as with any other web page.
Avira updates would not download due to connection error, until I changed the update option from proxy to something else.
MSN Messenger will not let me sign in.
Malwarebytes, Avira, Avast, appear clean.
I don't remember screwing around, but it seems as though i've messed up some of my connection settings, especially considering the Avira update.

~ Thanks.

Can you disable AVAST and you're running AVIRA also? What are you on laptop or desktop. Wireless or wired. If you go under cmd type: ipconfig /flushdns and do you get an error if you use such a command?

Running AVAST and allowing it to scan Email OR Weblinks will reconfigure all browsers
to use a proxy like this:

browser or email ---> 127.0.0.1 (Avast Service) ----> to internet​
If Avast is stopped, the browser & email configs stay the same and you may note that the
browser status bar will show 'connecting to 127.0.0.1 ....'

Can you disable AVAST and you're running AVIRA also? What are you on laptop or desktop. Wireless or wired. If you go under cmd type: ipconfig /flushdns and do you get an error if you use such a command?
No, I uninstalled so I only had one at once.
Wired desktop.

Running AVAST and allowing it to scan Email OR Weblinks will reconfigure all browsers
to use a proxy like this:
browser or email ---> 127.0.0.1 (Avast Service) ----> to internet
If Avast is stopped, the browser & email configs stay the same and you may note that the
browser status bar will show 'connecting to 127.0.0.1 ....'
So, you're telling me to open enable Avast's email and/or browser shields and go to URL 127.0.0.1? That didn't do anything.

What browser are you using? Also does this happen on other browser also? How did you uninstall these AV programs. Did you use third-party uninstaller or did you just let the OS or software uninstaller do it? Seem to me something has been left before. Prior to all of this did was this problem present?

No, I uninstalled so I only had one at once.
Wired desktop.

So, you're telling me to open enable Avast's email and/or browser shields and go to URL 127.0.0.1? That didn't do anything.
NO. If you still use AVAST, that's one issue,
but if it's uninstalled then, for each browser
  1. go to the Browser Options
  2. find the Connection Tab
  3. disable the use proxy option
on Firefox
Options-> Advanced
Network Tab
Configure .. connects to Internet (Settings Button)
(*) No Proxy​

Wow I feel cheated

See attachment, like so?
As you can see, its grayed out in IE, same with all my other browsers.

At the same time, I logged into another account on the same computer and OS, turns out it works fine there too :(.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 3
I don't want to get into a "too many chefs" situation.. so just a couple comments and then i'll bow out...

1. I'd try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and then try connecting to at least get an idea of how "deep" the problem with the user account might be "buried" (i.e. does it connect in Safe Mode?)

2. Also just try resetting all your IE settings. It's not clear if you're also you're Firefox? fyi. You can also start FF in it's own safe mode by Start->Mozilla FF->FF Safe Mode to verify it's not any addons or FF settings (tho likely not if it's also a problem with IE)

3. As it sounds like the problem is just the one account, if it gets to be too much a pain to trouble shoot, you might also decide to just create a new account and move your data (see here)

I don't want to get into a "too many chefs" situation.. so just a couple comments and then i'll bow out...
No no, its quite appreciated!

1. I'd try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and then try connecting to at least get an idea of how "deep" the problem with the user account might be "buried" (i.e. does it connect in Safe Mode?)
No, it didn't work but...
Despite my doubtfulness, Microsoft's fix it reset worked O.O.

Well then, I don't know what happened, but its all in the past now, thanks.

That's XP in the background, what are you changing the exceptions and proxy settings in IE? What happens if you install Google Chrome? Have you tried that? IE might have got corrupted somehow.

Next time go into safe mode under a different account and check your profile and see how large it is? Sometimes blowing out the profile and let XP restore it would solve this riddle. Before you blow out you would backup your docs, cookies, desktop, otherwise it will go poof! This is a technique used by most techs, but on a domain you could restore the end users profile from the backup server profile instead. Home users don't have the option though.

Back