No Internet Connection or Ability to Put on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really new, and not lingo savvy, so bear with me...

Own a new Dell PC with home Vista Pro. Own an Acer mini with XP home. Both have wireless network cards (and wired/onboard). I use the wired/hard connection for my Dell.

My mini...says I have a wireless connection (though it is picking up an outside system) to a LinkSys, says connection is strong, though won't let me connect.

1) Is it or could it be my XP is trying to get on an older system or a Vista system and is not compatible? Something else?

Next, I cannot put my Acer mini on a network with my Dell. I already did the path of setting up a home network, and using a flash drive to go between both and all that. When I search the mini's network (under the wireless card and click search available networks) it doesn't see my Dell.

2) Am I not able to link my XP mini to my Vista Dell because of the different OS as well?

Please advise, thanks.

Hi

First off...i dont understand your first question...

"My mini...says I have a wireless connection (though it is picking up an outside system) to a LinkSys, says connection is strong, though won't let me connect.

What wont it connect to ?

is it the internet or the other machine, if its not your router that its connected to then no wonder, there may be security set on it and thats why you cant connect..

next

number 1) again i dont understand (maybe someone else will) what do you mean by older system

networking Xp and Vista is a real pain, its because vista uses a different workgroup name to XP plus there is the firewall and network sharing rules that have to be configured.

Google is your best friend there are hundereds of sites with good guides to achieving this.

in answer to question 2) i just answered that in my above point

Thanks for the response. To clarify...

...strong signal but still can't connect to the internet.

...older system I meant an older OS like ME or 98 or whatever

So is what you are saying that i can link my XP Mini to my Vista dell but i will have to jump thru some hoops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back