No Internet connection

strategic

I have read similar threads but decided to post my own as I think it differs. Just last week I decided to upgrade my router, so I went a with a Linksys E3000.
The only issue I had was trying to get my netbook to connect to the internet, then during the time I was trying to get it to connect, the router died, so I returned it and now I'm back to the WRT54G which is working great.
I'm willing to go through this again, obviously I don't have a new router to try things, but if this is something typical which can be resolved, I will pick up another unit and go for it.
All my other computers, and smartphones work great. the only issue is the Acer netbook and possibly a PS3, which I wasn't able to give a fair test.

I am sure we can help you here with any connection problem. As the Linksys router failed while you were trying to connect with your netbook, I suspect that it may have started to malfunction before it died completely and that was the reason for not being able to connect.

Linksys does have very good guides on there web site and the installation disc provided with it is very easy to follow (did you get one with the faulty unit?)

It is slightly ppossible that it may have been the router, the netbook was the 2nd PC I connected out of 8 connections. The 1st one being my own primary computer. Even after the netbook was set up, all other computers afterwards worked fine. They all showed excellent signal, except for the netbook which showed excellent connected signal, and yet no access.
Yes it did come with the setup CD.

The TCP/IP setting may have needed to be reset or something else was not set correctly or a firewall was blocking it. Difficult to diagnose this problem until you get another router, but I am sure the problem can be resolved.

Thanks, I hope to go through this again sometime soon before the weather gets better and all goes on the back burner.
How about "winsockfix" I remember using it once a long time ago, but don't remember why. Would that help in this case?

Finally back with some more info.
I didn't get another router yet as I'm going through a busy summer.
However I did recommend and buy the same router for the office at work.
I brought the netbook there and received the same error (as in the attached image.
Now, out of nowhere, I started getting the same error on another workstation at the office.
It must be something simple I am not seeing.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 4
I've requested assistance with this as it is going a bit out of my depth.

Help should be on the way soon.

I'll try to help get this sorted out.

Let me summarize what I see:

a) some systems are attached to a router

b) some are working (pick any one and call this sysA) and can browse anything/everything

c) at least one system (the notebook?) is failing (call this sysB) and has trouble with accessing one or more​

Please correct my understand if your symptoms are different

Let's explore the network settings from both sysA and sysB;

on sysA, get a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /all >sysA.tcp.txt
on sysB, do the same and change the output file name
ipconfig /all >sysB.tcp.txt

On your follow-up, attach both sysA.tcp.txt & sysB.tcp.txt

First off, at least for me, this begs the question......."if your Linksys WRT54G is so great, why deviate from it and buy a E-3000"? This for me is a bit odd, for this E-3000 of yours makes me face one of life's current situations. For my ex-wife decided a while back to purchase this very router, the E-3000 and from the very day the thing came out of it's box, to present, she has had nothing but bad things to say about it. Lost connections, dropped connections, overheating, not enough range, can't go through walls very well, she has given me all these complaints.

This one is hers........
E3000_Main01.jpg

Now mind you, due to her frustrations, the woman actually tried to make me a money offer on my router. Which by the way, from day one, from the moment my router came out of it's box, to present, I've never had any problems with it. It's been a work horse, stable, reliable, very functional, wall penetrating, max range bearing, sliced and diced and everything nice!

I'm talking about my router, the one you say is "great", none other than the Linksys WRT54G, this is my rig......
sam0962j.jpg

So I know a little something about the current router you want to replace, and it makes me scratch my head wondering "why"? My ex-wife complains to no end about her E-3000 and even went as far to make me a money offer on mine, that should say something. I've let her Toshiba laptop connect to my router once or twice and she had nothing but song and praises for her connections speed, stability, surprised how far my router was from her location and still working like a champ.

This may be just me, but I will never get a non omni-directional, non penetrating wireless router! I will not allow myself to be satisfied with a wireless router that only throws out a wi-fi static bubble, and if your not inside that little bubble of service, your screwed. I have several witnesses that can back this up, but with my Toshiba laptop and my Linksys WRT54G, I've been able to get signal from my properties pool area, which is approx. 175 to 180 feet away from my home, streaming a full length movie off my in home server to my laptop while sitting inside the spa entertaining company. You show me a static wi-fi bubble router, one like and or similar to that E-3000, that can do that and I will eat my shoe.

If it was me I would keep the WRT54G until it craps out on you and then after it takes it's crap, then buy a new one!

"My 2 cents"!

Thanks Jobeard, that pretty much sums it up.
Since I don't have (no reason to-for now) set up a network at home, we'll just say sysB can't access the internet or "anything"
I hope the attached helps explain the setup, unfortunately, 1 is txt (didn't fit on screen) and the other is .jpg.

@Zen: Sorry, it isn't a WRT54G, it is a WRT54G'2' (typing error) and the range on it is terrible. However, the E-3000 at the office has been excellent, never a problem, great range throughout the whole building and more. Unlike the D-link it replaced, I never had to reboot once yet, and since it's plugged into a UPS, even power failures haven't affected it's performance. The first thing I did before setting it up was upgrade the firmware and I never regretted replacing the d-link for a minute.
Even the E-3000 I purchased for myself at home (before blowing up) had excellent range, 400' away from house to garage, through 10", & 8" concrete walls, R-20 insulation exterior wall with brick, and 3 interior walls with 5/8 drywall on both sides (straight though-no angles). So that should say the range is more than good. Because of changes, the range is needed and an antenna costs more, so I decided to go with the router.

Attachments

• working.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 2
  • NotWorking.JPG
    NotWorking.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1
It would appear that you pruned some data from the file,
but be that as it may,

you have IPv6 Enabled and need to disable it (see these items)
(on ALL your systems as it causes our home routers to fail)

Solution
a) google disable IPv6

b) and apply the solution that fits each system

c) disconnect each system from the router and reboot the system

d) when all have been corrected, reconnect to the router

e) wait 30 secs, get a command prompt and do these three things on each system
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. nslookup google.com. # note the trailing period
  3. ping google.com #without the trailing period
Your browser should now be operative
here's the config from which causes the problem
Code:
 Windows IP Configuration          
 Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :_________          
 Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : ______________         
 Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown         
 IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No         
 WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No         
 DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ______________  wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com  

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:          
 Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected         
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC         
 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-69-80-7E  
 Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:          
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com         
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5004X Wireless Network Adapter         
 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-39-5E-F0         
 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes         
 Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes         
 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102         
 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0         
[COLOR="Red"] IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::112:f5ff:fe39:5ef0%5   [/COLOR]      
 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1         
 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1         
 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xxx.xxx                                             
[COLOR="Red"] fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1                                             
 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1                                             
 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1         
 Lease Obtained. . . . .[/COLOR] . . . . . : July 24, 2011 14:59:15         
 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : July 25, 2011 14:59:15  

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:          
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :          
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface         
 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF         
[COLOR="Red"] Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No         
 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6 [/COLOR]        
 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :          
 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled  

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:          
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :          
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface         
 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A9-FE-76-D0         
[COLOR="Red"] Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No         
 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.245.118.208%2 [/COLOR]        
[COLOR="Red"] DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2 [/COLOR]                                            
 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2                                             
 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2         

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:          
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com         
 Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic 
 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface         
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-66         
 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No         
[COLOR="Red"] IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.102%2  [/COLOR]       
[COLOR="Red"] DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1                                             
 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1                                             
 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 [/COLOR]        

Thank you Jobeard.
I have a question though. Since I never 'enabled' IPV6, was it something to do with an automatic update?
I will definitely give it a shot, bring the netbook to work and see the results.

but with my Toshiba laptop and my Linksys WRT54G, I've been able to get signal from my properties pool area, which is approx. 175 to 180 feet away from my home, streaming a full length movie off my in home server to my laptop while sitting inside the spa entertaining company.
it may surprise some, but the G-Mode devices will have better range than the N-Mode - - the Ns get the bandwidth at the expense of reduced range - - isn't that a pile of rot!

the O.Ps problem is connectivity complexity with IPv6 and simple routers not dealing with that spec very well (as yet).

Thank you Jobeard.
I have a question though. Since I never 'enabled' IPV6, was it something to do with an automatic update?
NO. The issue is MS ships Vista & Win/7 with IPV6 enabled - - intending it to be used by corporate users.

Thank you for your assistance jobeard.
Picked up a Cisco E2500 router, disabled IPV6
on the PC used to set up the router
and everything hooked up fine.

Back