No internet on computers connected to Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have connected my wireless network like this:

Cable modem-> computer-> wireless router -> 2 more computers.

I have the computer with internet connected into a lan port on the router and used the network wizard on Windows XP after giving my router and the other computers on the network static IP's since the internet connection wanted the IP my router was originally on.

After days I have gotten as far as seing the internet gateway connected on my other computers and my wireless network connected but i can't open internet explorer on these computers.

Im doing the network this way because i have no choice. The Ethernet on my cable modem is broken and the modem is out of warranty. Getting a replacement from my ISP is like pulling teeth and theoretically this should work....

Could someone please tell me something else that maybe I should check? (before going mad, that is)

Thanks

What you are describing is windows Internet connection sharing. I've used it before and it is extremely difficult to get working and extremely unreliable. I had to keep resetting my modem about every hour or so to stop the whole setup from locking up.

You really would be far far better off getting your modem fixed and doing it the proper way.

maxpower said:
I have connected my wireless network like this:

Cable modem-> computer-> wireless router -> 2 more computers.

just relocate the router thus:

Code:
[B]Cable modem-> wireless router ->[/B] computer-> 3 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back