TechSpot

No monitor or keyboard signal, no beep on startup

By dinvex
Jun 4, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi!

I have a computer that was working perfectly and after using compressed air it won't give a signal to the monitor, the keyboard doesn't light up (I'm assuming no power to the mouse either), and there is no beep when I start it. Internet cable lights up when I connect it, and the speakers make a "pop" noise like its receiving signal fromt the sound card. I tested the monitor, RAM, and graphics card on another computer and they seem fine...Fans are running okay and I removed the little circular battery from the mother board for half an hour to drain it, but still nothing.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem? I have a K9N platinum and if you suggest it is this, can you recommend a new motherboard (as this doesn't seem to be easy to come by anymore)? Hopefully its not the hard drive...

Thank you for checking this one out....and PS - baby steps are appreciated!
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Compressed air, not treated by difluoroethane gas or other static electricity preventative, is a very dangerous destroyer of computers... We have seen at least 12 computers destroyed by Compressed Air... one I did myself in my learning days...
    Since then, we have run a lot of tests with canned air... All that are not treated are dangerous. All that come from a bench tank are just about guaranteed to destroy a computer system board, CPU, or other critical components...
    And the static electricity can flow through several components before it finds a way to ground.
  3. dinvex

dinvex TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

would that completely stop it from even starting up though?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.